Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Driver's test

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

Just needed to share because I feel bad. My DD failed her exam this morning. The dreaded parallel park. She did it just fine 95% of the practices and did a beautiful job five minutes before the test. I feel so sad for her because she is so embarrassed to tell her friends, teachers and family. It breaks my heart to see her cry,  but on the other hand I think having to deal with some adveristy every so often is good for the psyche too. Now she knows she has to practice more and not everything comes easy I guess.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
My dd failed 2 times. Many fail at least once. Almost every neighborhood kid did at least once. My dd didn't cry till the 2nd fail. Have her drive constantly and try again and make sure she looks at what she failed on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Poor sweetie. A moms heart breaks too over things like this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Does just missing the parallel park cause her to fail? Here if you hit the bars it is an automatic fail because they consider that to be hitting  cars.Other wise it is 5 or 6 points of a 100 point test 75 passing.There could be other auto fails but I don't know those.I told mine if they weren't 100 % comfortable make a cautious feeble attempt at parallel parking.After a few tries the officer says to move on .

Bless her heart the nerves can be horrible.At the end of mine I was kind of fine till it was over ,then I was shaking so hard I could hardly talk.My guys are big breakfast eaters but the morning of the test they couldn't eat a thing.

I doubt this will help but she knows many ,many ,many fail the first time and the parallel park bites many.Poor girl .She will get it next time.

Bertieb
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Yes, it's an automatic fail, he did let her try twice. We actually do it on the road with one car in front, none in back. She backed into the curb. I'm sure the second time the nerves and lost confidence were just too much. For some reason 3 point turn and parallel park are the biggest things even though they are a small, small part of driving here. The road test only takes about 5 minutes here!

Quoting drfink:

Does just missing the parallel park cause her to fail? Here if you hit the bars it is an automatic fail because they consider that to be hitting  cars.Other wise it is 5 or 6 points of a 100 point test 75 passing.There could be other auto fails but I don't know those.I told mine if they weren't 100 % comfortable make a cautious feeble attempt at parallel parking.After a few tries the officer says to move on .

Bless her heart the nerves can be horrible.At the end of mine I was kind of fine till it was over ,then I was shaking so hard I could hardly talk.My guys are big breakfast eaters but the morning of the test they couldn't eat a thing.

I doubt this will help but she knows many ,many ,many fail the first time and the parallel park bites many.Poor girl .She will get it next time.

2teens2LOs
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM

tell her to shake it off, big deal, there is always next time

its really NOT a big deal, ALOT of people fail it and more than once :)

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Wow ,that is tough .Plus to do it with a real car and not the swing bars would make it more nerve wracking.Oh the road test is long here.They take you into neighborhoods ,a double turn lane under a freeway ...lots and lots of chances to make a mistake.When waiting for mine to come back I watch the other kids come back.The officers seem quite nice.I could figure out who didn't pass ,they park ,the teen stays in the car ,the officer gets the parent and they go back to the car and all three discuss the test.The officers then always pat the kid on the shoulder.The girls are almost always crying ...bless their hearts.My daughter took it twice,she bumped the bar.None of my guys have ...they listened to me LOL ...took the feeble try way .They can parallel park ok but I think the stress just gets them.

Quoting Bertieb:

Yes, it's an automatic fail, he did let her try twice. We actually do it on the road with one car in front, none in back. She backed into the curb. I'm sure the second time the nerves and lost confidence were just too much. For some reason 3 point turn and parallel park are the biggest things even though they are a small, small part of driving here. The road test only takes about 5 minutes here!

Quoting drfink:

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Hugs to you both. I know how you feel, my dd failed the driving exam 3 times. She has terrible test anxiety and it was a struggle for her. She did everything right with her dad or I in the car b/c she is comfortable with us but once the test person was in the car with her she tensed up. Thankfully, she finally passed and she is a very good driver since she had so much practice, she's a pro at parallel parking too.

Shell89
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I failed twice. The first time was because I couldn't parallel park (they used trash barrels as place holders) the second was because I hit the curb while parking and they considered it an accident.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I was very thankful I did not have to do that for my test. I have been driving for 20+years and have only ever parallel parked once and that was just the other day. 

When she goes next time my advice would be to tell her to not tell anyone she is going. This way no one has to know if she fails and will only know when she passes. This is one great advice my mother gave me and I will pass down to my DD 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM

That is hard, I am sorry.  She just needs practice and to get over nerves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)