Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do you think they should have done?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

There is a lot of hoopla going around about the Texas high school (Aledo Bearcats) football team who is being accused of bullying by a parent of a player on the losing team. I guess they believe that winning by that margin is bullying.

Basically what happened is last Friday night, Aledo played Western Hills. Aledo won 91-0. A parent from the opposing team is accusing the winning team of bullying.

The winning coach pulled his starters and had his bench in to play. He did everything he could to keep from scoring but his team, even the bench is just that good.

The only other thing he could have done is take a knee on every down during their possessions but then that would have been completely disrespectful to the other team. It seems like a no win situation.

So what do you think the coach or team should have done in this instance?

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Pnukey
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

They should have done exactly what they did do. The dad who is complaining needs to grow a pair. Well, a new pair, since the one he has clearly doesn't work.

drfink
by Emily on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The coach did it correctly.He played the third string.

Was he supposed to cheat and tell his players to purposefully throw the game ?In effect that is what the dad is saying...to screw up on purpose to change the score.AKA cheating.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

The coach did the right thing.  This dad is raising a kid that will feel he entitled.  

sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

the father is completely out of line filing a "bullying" complaint.  

sahlady
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this

So I just pulled up and read the article.  The school is required to hold an investigation and write a report on any and all bullying claims.  So my question is how many man hours and dollars are now taken away from that school for such a frivolous complaint.  

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The coach did the right thing. He pulled the starters and gave the third string a chance for field time. What else could he do,his team is far more talented then the other. Now I don't the particulars on if this school recruits or if it's known for high end athletics,but this happens everywhere. O know in my DD's senior yr the football was just beyond talented many of the boys went on the NCAA and CIS schools for football. They had a similar number of games due to restructuring of the divisions. The coach did this very thing and pulled all the starters after they were ahead by more than 28 points and had the second even third string play.

It is not bullying for one team to outplay another it happens dad needs to move on and get a life.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope no one minds me posting this here, but this is the most recent update to this story.

Posted October 23, 2013

Texas high school football coach cleared of bullying charges

The Associated Press reports a Texas high school football coach has been cleared of bullying charges filed by the parent of an opposing player following a 91-0 loss.

Aledo head coach Buchanan told the AP Wednesday that district administrators said the investigation found “no grounds” to support the complaint. State law requires school districts to investigate complaints of bullying.

“Basically, there were no grounds for bullying during the game, prior to the game or after the game,” Buchanan said.

Aledo, a three-time Class 4A state champion ranked No. 1 in the Associated Press statewide poll, beat Fort Worth Western Hills, 91-0, Friday. The runaway win raised Aledo’s average margin of victory to 77 points in each of their four district games.

Buchanan told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Tuesday the margins of victory are troublesome for him and his coaching staff. He said he removed his offensive starters after 21 plays and both teams agreed to use a running clock in the second half.

“I’m upset about it,” Buchanan said. “I don’t like it. I sit there the whole third and fourth quarter and try to think how I can keep us from scoring.”

A copy of the complaint obtained by the Associated Press quoted a parent, whose name was redacted by the Aledo school district, who said: “we all witnessed bullying firsthand.”

“Picking up my son from the fieldhouse after the game and taking him home was tough,” the complaint read. “I did not know what to say to my son on the ride home to explain the behavior of the aledo (sic) coaches for not easing up when the game was in hand.”

One section of the complaint asks to list the names of any witnesses to the bullying. Wrote the parent: “everyone in the football stadium.”

The parent put no blame on Aledo players, and instead praised them for good sportsmanship and wished them good luck.

Pnukey
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I hope no one minds me posting this here, but this is the most recent update to this story.

Posted October 23, 2013

Texas high school football coach cleared of bullying charges

The Associated Press reports a Texas high school football coach has been cleared of bullying charges filed by the parent of an opposing player following a 91-0 loss.

Aledo head coach Buchanan told the AP Wednesday that district administrators said the investigation found “no grounds” to support the complaint. State law requires school districts to investigate complaints of bullying.

“Basically, there were no grounds for bullying during the game, prior to the game or after the game,” Buchanan said.

Aledo, a three-time Class 4A state champion ranked No. 1 in the Associated Press statewide poll, beat Fort Worth Western Hills, 91-0, Friday. The runaway win raised Aledo’s average margin of victory to 77 points in each of their four district games.

Buchanan told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Tuesday the margins of victory are troublesome for him and his coaching staff. He said he removed his offensive starters after 21 plays and both teams agreed to use a running clock in the second half.

“I’m upset about it,” Buchanan said. “I don’t like it. I sit there the whole third and fourth quarter and try to think how I can keep us from scoring.”

A copy of the complaint obtained by the Associated Press quoted a parent, whose name was redacted by the Aledo school district, who said: “we all witnessed bullying firsthand.”

“Picking up my son from the fieldhouse after the game and taking him home was tough,” the complaint read. “I did not know what to say to my son on the ride home to explain the behavior of the aledo (sic) coaches for not easing up when the game was in hand.”

One section of the complaint asks to list the names of any witnesses to the bullying. Wrote the parent: “everyone in the football stadium.”

The parent put no blame on Aledo players, and instead praised them for good sportsmanship and wished them good luck.

Hahahahaha, I bet this dad would be up in arms if there was a class-wide punishment and his boy said he wasn't doing it (whatever it was that caused the punishment.)    

I'm glad the coach was not found guilty of bullying. It was also very decent of the school district to redact the father's name.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:02 AM

The coach did exactly what he should have done.    The Dad who complained would not have been satisfied if the coach literally had his team sit down and watch the losing team score......which would have been a slap in the face.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)