Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Play Station Problems

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 15 year old, almost 16 year old son flat out refuses to help out around the house. All of my other children listen and do their chores. We recently had a huge loss in our family and he was very close to the person who passed. I gave him his space for the last 3 months but his anger issues just keep coming up. I think his anger comes from the game system but that is all he ever does. I just need advice on how to get him off the PS3 and have him help around the house. With twins due in January I am going to need all the extra help I can get. Help! 

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaLoriLee
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Have you thought of getting him some councelling to deal with the grief and anger issues? I would deal with that first and then give him time limits for his game. No game til chores are complete.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Oct. 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I agree with MamaLoriLee's suggestions above. Counselling to help him deal with the loss of a close family member. Every one's grief cycle is different~ he may be stuck in the anger portion of his process. As for the video games~ there would be none until he picked up his slacking around the house. I have no problem physically taking games or controllers off the system until my kids straighten up.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I don't think you can put the blame fully on the video games. Losing someone close is very tough, he definitely needs a counselor to talk to and work through what he's feeling.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Take the games away. Get him some counseling and demand help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

The anger could also be coming from the twins that are on the way considering you are going to be wanting him to do things he hasn't been because you are having more kids.

huntersmom1007
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Definately take him to counsiling.  And lay down ground rules on the game.  I would just make it no game till the chores are done for the day. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I agree with counseling too. It sounds like he's having a hard time dealing with the loss.

As far as the gaming, put your foot down. My son cannot play video games on week nights until homework and chores are done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)