Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with my 15 year old step son

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 15 year old step son pretty much ignores me. He always has. No matter how many times I have tried over the past 10 years, he just doesn't want to have anything to do with me. I include him in everything and I really do love him . He is such a good kid but at what point do I just give up the hope that we will ever have relationship?

Anyone been in a similar situation? Or have any advice?

by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't give up.... just continue to let him set the pace.       My step daughter hated me for years ( with lots of influence from her Mom).  My step son all but ignored me,     Finally, after 20 years, we are becomming friends.   We are all adults and now they realize that I am not and never have been the enemy.  They both have said that their Mom was the biggest factor....if they ever made a nice comment about me she hit the roof!  

suesues
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM

just keep it up my son doesnt like his stepdad but just keep doing what we do in hopes tht one day when they are adults they will understand. He is 20 now and it is alittle better we all took a family cruise and that helped forced to be together. 

02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:30 PM

some kids just never accept the step parent because they see them as the reason their parents are not getting back together even if they know it isn't true

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM
What is DH's attitude? Lime or not I would demand they respect and listen to you.

I would continue to exprrss your love ajd concern for him but don't let it get you down.

As DS's therapist says,"When he's 25, he will come around." LOL Actually, DS is coming around already ;) so there is hope.
ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Wow, I'm surpised that at 5y's of age he didn't develope a liking to you.  Kids that young are normally so easy to win over.  I'm guessing his mother is still in the picture and is probably a strong influence on him and possibly other family members also.  All you can do is continue to love him the way you do and be there for him and one day he will recognize who you were / are in his life.  You might even get the call so many mothers receive from their children once they've grown up and realized what a pain in the butt they were growing up.  The "I'm so sorry for what I put you through growing up.  Now I understand." call.  What is the father doing to encourage the relationship?

ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I forgot to add that I have a SS who has been in my life since he was 6.  I think one of the things that have my situation a success is his mother nor any of her family is not in the picture.  Though they are near by they are just not involved.  My husband was pretty instrumental in our relationship too.  But I was fortunate that I didn't have any real issues, I'm mom to him and he's my son.  I really hope your son starts to except you and recognize how fortunate he is to have two women who really love him in his life.  Good luck and God bless!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)