Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High School Kids Learn How to Brew Beer in Science Class

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

High School Kids Learn How to Brew Beer in Science Class

by Jeanne Sager 

beerThis just in from the "why didn't they have this when I was a kid" files: a high school is allowing kids to brew beer as part of their biology class. And of course parents are upset. Because, OMG, y'all, alcohol and kids. How dare they?

Erm, because it's fun? And kids like fun? And if you can combine fun and education, kids will actually learn?

Fermentation or anaerobic respiration are core bits of the biology curriculum in the state of Colorado. Kids at the Ralston Valley High School get to learn about them both in an easy hands-on way: by brewing up their own beer. They can even get 10 points of extra credit if they go for a tour at a Coors Brewing factory.

Imagine! Learning ... and fun! In a high school biology class!

Of course, this has parents upset because they say it's sending mixed messages about alcohol to kids who aren't legally allowed to drink.

I won't argue with them, but I won't agree either.

Alcohol is all around kids. They see it in stores; they see commercials. And all around them are adults saying, "Sorry Kiddo, but we're not going to talk about that until you're older."

Making beer (and wine, and vodka, and, and, and ...) taboo only serves to excite kids. Breaking it down via a scientific process, on the other hand, takes some of the mystique out of it. It's no longer something they can't wait to get their hands on. Suddenly it's just a bunch of sugars creating metabolic waste.

It's nothing more than a science project -- albeit a science project that drew them in and actually let them have a little fun while learning.

When put that way, is a beer brewing science project any more likely to turn kids into alcoholics than, say, building atoms out of gumdrops will make kids fat? I'll say no.

But it will make them remember anaerobic reactions ... probably for the rest of their lives.

Would you allow your child to take a course in beer brewing?

What would you do if this was offered at your child's school?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daydreamer3
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I'm not sure I want my teenager knowing how to make their own beer. I get the science behind it but still, not sure I'd be too thrilled with our school doing this.
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I think its kinda cool but not sure it shoud be for kids under 21. They cant even taste it to see how it comes out.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Just b/c they learn how to make it does not mean they are all going to go out and make it. And a tour of a brewery is pretty interesting- We took our 3 kids, ages 12, 7, and 5, on a tour of the Anheuser-Busch brewery in St. Louis and they enjoyed it. It did not make them want to try beer at all.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Brewing beer is not a small project, and it takes a few weeks.  It is not like you can brew a batch for the weekend party.  We have brewed beer at home, and my son will be involved in brewing the next batch.  It is a fun, creative activity.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I agree. Went to a brewery tour in grade school. I hate beer.

Quoting wakymom:

Just b/c they learn how to make it does not mean they are all going to go out and make it. And a tour of a brewery is pretty interesting- We took our 3 kids, ages 12, 7, and 5, on a tour of the Anheuser-Busch brewery in St. Louis and they enjoyed it. It did not make them want to try beer at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Not a big deal, it does require some know how and proper equipment. They aren't going to be setting home brewery's up in the closets.
02nana07
by Ida on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I would allow it if it were offered

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:57 AM
How cool! I am totally adding this to DS's curriculum next year!

PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Absolutely.  In fact, I'd want to attend!

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I would have absolutely no problem with it and would be all for my kids taking the class.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)