Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Summer for 14 Year Old

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 19 Replies

For those of you who have 14 year olds or have had 14 year olds, what did they do in the summer?  My son has aged out of summer camp. Except for sports camps, but thats not his thing. Daycare camp, nature camp, adventure camp, he has aged out. He is to young to get a job around here. Everyone says 15 or 16 to work. Im at work all day so biking or bus service may be an issue.  But Im still going to look into it. Maybe a nearby farm needs help. I do not want my son playing video games all day all summer. He can get invites to the pool sometimes. I was going to look at the local community college for a science or computer class. I need to fill at least 6 weeks worth of time!! Any suggestions on how to keep a kid busy all summer? What did your kids do? Yes, I am thinking way ahead!!

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daydreamer3
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Can he be a camp counselor?
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM
My kids still go to church camp and Boy Scout camp. The camps we use they can be campers up until they turn 18. However,this year he is hoping to get a job at one of them as a CIT (counselor in training).

My oldest went out of state to visit his grandparents for 2 weeks.
1kidmomajm
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM

He did counselor in training camp last summer also to get some student service learning hours. Kids have to earn service hours for graduation. He doesnt really want to be a counselor for the same county daycamps he went to. But I am saving that as a last resort. 

Quoting daydreamer3:

Can he be a camp counselor?

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Ds went with grandparents and visited family for several weeks.  He went away to Boy Scout camp.  He then started football and lacrosse camp.  Then headed out for a week of music camp.  Check and see if local high schools, colleges, or other groups offer enrichment classes.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

My DD did Life guarding traininglast summer and will be working as a life guard this summer. It was a lot of work but she had a blast. She also made a ton of good friends. If you don't live near the ocean like we do you can look into American red crossand see what pool life guarding they are offering, that is if he swims.

I would maybe try and find a farm he can help at or local church or food pantry. Maybe the library is looking for someone to help out or read to kids. When I was a kid it was candy strippers for the summer, not sure if they still have those or not.

Thorlin
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I am hooking my daughter up with some volunteer work in an area she is interested in. They trained her and she will work for them this summer.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Volunteering, maybe babysitting?   Maybe he can start his own business....  mowing, weeding, painting addresses on curbs.     He can sign up for 'fun' classes at the rec center (if you have one). 

balagan_imma
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I'm sending mine to overnight camp for at least 3 weeks. And my soon to be 16 yr. old is applying for scholarships to study a foreign language overseas (I think you have to be at least 15.)

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Mine were counselors at scout camp.  Good leadership opportunity, and a lot of fun.

NidanLady
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Does he enjoy languages? He could attend a language immersion program f he does. My daughter is 14 and that is most likely what she is going to do next summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN