Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Scared Mom Here!

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM
  • 53 Replies

HELP!

My daughter is turning 13 in 3 weeks and I am FREAKING OUT!

I have 3 older boys. When they turned 13, I was FINE.

But she's a GIRL. 

She's turning THIRTEEN!! 

That's the age where it all happens with girls, right?

The period, the boobs, the boys, the attitude, rolling the eyes, etc. You know what I mean!

We have a great relationship today. 

Today, we are friends. We respect one another. But I know that thirteen is the magic number where it all changes. 

Would love any advice!

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I only have boys!     Personally, 13 wasn't the magic number for me...  all the things you mentioned were old hat by age 13. lol

Happy Birthday to your daughter!!!   

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this

It doesn't have to turn all bad. Sit down and chat with her about how her emotions may change. Tell her  that although she may be felling upset, irritable at times she still must remain respectful. Also make sure she know that you are always available to her, I think if you could share some coming of age stories that helps a lot. It puts you in the OK category and not like you some alien that never been through it. Make sure the boys know to go easy on her.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Teach her morals and to respect her body. It isn't too bad. At least my 2 were not. My girls are 22 and 19 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linagma03
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

13 isn't a magic number to suddenly wake up with boobs and a period. She either has the beginnings of all this now or she doesn't. What made you think she was going to wake up on her 13th birthday and be a totally rude, ungrateful, hateful disrespectful brat?  

krickette
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter was 12 and my granddaughter was 11 and my niece was 11 when all of theirs started. my 9 year old granddaughter has to wear a bra now. so it just depends on her gene pool

Mickshelle15
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM

No of course not!

She's already developed her boobs. She hasn't had her period yet, but she is well on her way.

I don't think she's going to wake up on her birthday and be a little bitch, but today's teenager's ARE little bitches. They're disrespectful, full of attitude, use horrible language and do not respect their boundaries. 

And THAT'S what I don't want my daughter to be. I've raised her to be a respectful young lady and that's how she is today and I don't want that to change.

Geesh.

Quoting Linagma03:

13 isn't a magic number to suddenly wake up with boobs and a period. She either has the beginnings of all this now or she doesn't. What made you think she was going to wake up on her 13th birthday and be a totally rude, ungrateful, hateful disrespectful brat?  

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't be scared. My dd is almost 15 and we have a wonderful relationship. It doesn't have to be bad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mickshelle15
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I come from a family of late bloomers.  My Mom was late getting her period (not sure of her exact age, but I know she was late.

I got mine when I was 16. 

My boys all started their puberty from 11 on up.

It's just that she's my only girl and I don't know what to expect, ya know?

lesbians

Quoting krickette:

my daughter was 12 and my granddaughter was 11 and my niece was 11 when all of theirs started. my 9 year old granddaughter has to wear a bra now. so it just depends on her gene pool

Linagma03
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM

You are going on as if she is going to do just that. If you raised her to be respectful, and a good person then turning 13 isn't going to change that. The people she hangs with might, allowing her to get away with things might. I raised 4 girls and 2 boys and never had that problem. They were raised to be respectful and when they forgot that they got put in their place quick like. My kids weren't disrespectful to me or dh but once in a great while as they were growing up and believe me when I say that they remembered right fast who they were talking to. I've got a 15 year old girl right now who is going through the process of spreading her wings and on occassion she forgets who she is speaking to and gets in trouble for it. A small amount of what you are worried about is going to happen no matter what as she grows to be independant how you deal with it is how she will turn out.  

Quoting Mickshelle15:

No of course not!

She's already developed her boobs. She hasn't had her period yet, but she is well on her way.

I don't think she's going to wake up on her birthday and be a little bitch, but today's teenager's ARE little bitches. They're disrespectful, full of attitude, use horrible language and do not respect their boundaries. 

And THAT'S what I don't want my daughter to be. I've raised her to be a respectful young lady and that's how she is today and I don't want that to change.

Geesh.

Quoting Linagma03:

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Don't raise her to be a disrespectful brat then.

Quoting Mickshelle15:

No of course not!

Geesh.

Quoting Linagma03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN