Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Changing Teen

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:18 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi everyone! 

I have a 15 year old son that is a sophmore. Started having a "I do not care attitude" about a few classes. He seems to be in love with Jazz band. Parent/teacher conferences were an order. He has opened up a little.

Does anyone else have a son that feels this way? Is it hormones?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM

What classes? I'm confused about the Jazz band bit - is he IN  a jazz band or is he "obsessed" with a jazz band? I don't get the revelance. Is he understanding the work? Talk to him; offer assistance in the way of turtoring. If he's just not bothered I would tell him that he needs to bring up his grade or X will happen (no phone, grounding, no electronics, whatever you use).

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I think about that age, all teenagers change a little.  A little jazz and a few dropped classes, well that's perfectly normal. 

02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I felt that way about some classes it usually had to do with the teacher and was the same with my kids

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I always said every class counts. If you don't like the teacher it wqas no excuse doing bad. It is part of life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Normal.   He is starting to form his own views and opinions on subjects.

JKronrod
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM

YES!!!! Including being in love with jazz band.  Our oldest son went through this, too, at about the same age (minus jazz band).  I think it's a combination of general personality, hormones, and the way the schools are structured with respect to teaching (my son can't follow directions to save his life).  I will tell you that our oldest did improve (he'll be graduating from college next May, if everything goes well - and was working 20 hours a week).  He's become a reasonable human being.  Hang in there and it will likely get better.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Yep I agree
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FourkidsOnemom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Yes my 15 year old son has started acting like this, the thing is his older brother who is 17 never acted like this so I'm wondering what it is with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)