Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

~11/6: Basketball Day~

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM
  • 18 Replies

November 6, 2013: Basketball Day marks the birthday of one James Naismith back in 1861. Not only did he invent the game of basketball, he’s also frequently credited with inventing the first football helmet. (That’s American football, not the original kind.)

http://holidaydoodles.com/?p=531

Do you like to play basketball? Do any of your teens play basketball?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM
No I don't like to play and neither of my kids have ever played.
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM
No and no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

None of us have/do on a team.

From the time I was 10 until I moved out in college, I always had a basketball hoop in the driveway, though. I spent a lot of time shooting hoops either by myself or w/ my dad.

The playground in our subdivision has some hoops and ds1 and/or ds2 will occasionally take a basketball over there, or join some friends already playing there. A couple of ds2's friends have hoops in their driveways and they will sometimes play at their houses as well.

My dad was on his h.s. basketball team, though : )

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Not really. I'm too short to be good at it, same goes for my kids.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes and yes! My teenager has played on basketball teams since third grade. My tween has played on basketball teams since third grade, my youngest son is 5 and is currently on his first basketball team which he started in September.
All my sons could dribble a basketball by the time they were two. My older tween (12) has personalized glasses that say Miami Heat on them. Basketball is our thing.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:07 AM
My third son (8) is good at basketball but has never been on a team. Being on a team of any kind is not his thing. He currently does gymnastics and karate when he gets older he plans on running track.
highlandmum
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Mine do not play basketball for a team, but DD13 is going to try out for here school team for it this year.  But I did not know James Naismith is credited with the invention on the football helmet - I knew about basketball (we had this mentioned to us numerous times since he is Canadian)

I am hopeless at basketball - despite the net at the bottom of our drive

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I liked shooting hoops--but not playing, per se--when we had a basketball hoop when I was a child.

My son likes to play basketball ball, but has never been on a team because it is a winter sport here and he loves hockey more.
02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

we all enjoy it

lakerfan420
by Jamie on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I love basketball, and have always exposed my kids to it while trying not to push too hard just because I like it. We coached them when they were younger and playing through the YMCA, and at one point we had three teams in one season based on how their birthdays fell. Bri is 15 now and will shoot hoops for fun, but organized b-ball is not her thing. Which is too bad because at 5'11" and still growing, she's got the height (and the shooting touch). But, she'd rather play soccer. Lexi is 14 and enjoys playing, and is a warrior on defense. Doesn't quite have the touch that Bri does, but she mostly plays center based on her height and build, so it works for her and she takes great pride in defending the paint. Teddy is 12 and is playing for the jr high school this season. Football is his first love, but basketball is second. He's my most well rounded player, and while he's mostly a power forward, he's been known to break ankles like a point guard. His handles are awesome, and being a leftie can make him hard to guard. He's so psyched for his first game tomorrow, and so am I.

Oh yeah, and win or lose, I bleed purple and gold!! I'm hoping Kobe is back by the end of the month because my Lakers are coming to town and we got tickets for that game. If not, watch the young cats ball and see if this Xavier kid is for real. Let's go Lakers!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN