Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Stupid Teacher, Stupid Class

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 17 Replies

My son (17) is in the graduating class that started a new mandatory course for graduation: Personal Finance.  I thought wow, that's great!  Too many kids graduating without being able to balance a checkbook or figure up the payment on a credit card. 

There's a lot of work that is graded in the class.  Tons in fact.  He finished up 40 modules so far (just started the 2nd 9 weeks) and a few weeks ago his teacher informed me he was "ahead".  This is apparently a self paced course.  He does the assignments at his own pace is what the teacher said.  Ok... sounds like a disaster ready to happen for most students but I let it be.

Well report cards come out tomorrow, and I see the final grades for the 9 weeks up on the system we look at.  In the last week he went from a B in the class to an I (incomplete).  WTF??  How do you go from a B to an I in a week???  Especially if you only missed 1 day?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM
My dd's took it. Not mandatory. It should be. Lots of work and a huge final project. My dd's got A's.
Sounds like your son needs to ask what he is behind in and get the work done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Quoting atlmom2:

My dd's took it. Not mandatory. It should be. Lots of work and a huge final project. My dd's got A's.
I can see his grades as they come up. We have a system that allows me to see them. It shows that he had a couple of zeros from the beginning of the year and that's it. I've emailed the teacher, but have gotten no response yet.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM
We had that too. I loved to see grades.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting atlmom2:

I can see his grades as they come up. We have a system that allows me to see them. It shows that he had a couple of zeros from the beginning of the year and that's it.

I've emailed the teacher, but have gotten no response yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiff_R_92
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
My question for the teacher is, if he was working ahead how is that even possible?
02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

How can he have an incomplete if working at his own pace is what I would be asking especially since he missed one day and before that was ahead.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I love it and hate it all in the same breath.  When your child is having a hard time with something, it gives you a heads up, when they are doing well, it makes you proud.  When they are being lazy or rebellous it just keeps you upset all the time.  So sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it.

Quoting atlmom2:

We had that too. I loved to see grades.

Quoting fantasticfour:

Quoting atlmom2:

I can see his grades as they come up. We have a system that allows me to see them. It shows that he had a couple of zeros from the beginning of the year and that's it.

I've emailed the teacher, but have gotten no response yet.

PurpleHazey
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I hear and see this so often...hugs girl it is a battle one can not fight. The schools are failing our children

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I can fight it, and I will.  Doesn't mean I can win but I CAN fight it. 

Quoting PurpleHazey:

I hear and see this so often...hugs girl it is a battle one can not fight. The schools are failing our children

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

This sounds like more for you to stress over, which you certainly do not need.   I thought his Dad was in complete charge of him and his school work?      Let your son deal with his grade.   He knows why he is getting an incomplete...   perhaps he didn't turn in the final project.

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Maybe ,giving her the benefit of the doubt,because he has come from a couple of zeros at the start to a motivated B student she didn't want to average in his missed work.That could lower his grade maybe.My 17 yr old had pneumonia last year and was pretty sick.He received I's because he missed a lot and had a lot to make up close to the end of the grading period.Once completed the work the I's became grades.

Otherwise hope the teacher lets you know.I really like the online grade book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN