Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Is it just teenage attitude?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

My dd who will be 15 in a few days and a sophomore in HS.  She's always been a good kid in school.  Never had a teacher complain.  she's always been a great student with perfect grades.  Yesterday she tells me she has to study for a health test today.  She goes on to tell me that she actually  needs to study because she talks to much in class and she's not sure if she knows the material.  I went online and checked her grade in the class and her grade is perfect. Literally can not get any higher.   I have a problem with her being to chatty that she's not sure if she knows the material.  The teacher has not said anything to me.  According to her the teacher has never confronted her but has made comments to the whole class about disrespectful people that can't be quiet.  She also has never moved my dd or the two friends that talk.   I told my dd if the teacher comes to me to complain that she can't shut her mouth she is loosing her phone for 2 weeks.  In her  mind its the teachers fault for not confronting my dd or moving her seat.  She actually said if her grade is perfect and the teacher wont move her seat then its no big deal.  I even explained why her talking is a problem and disruptive to the class and interferes with the rest of the class's learning.  She went on to say that if another kid fails its not her fault. I told her i would be happy to call the teacher and ask that her seat be moved myself. She of course declined and i reminded her she knows the consequences of her talking and the ball is in her court now.

but where is the attitude coming from?  I'm starting to think there is something in the water because all 3 of my kids are becoming different ppl in school.  Her with the talking, My son is doing really really well in school (not complaing but just so opposite from his norm) and my youngest had a report sent home a few weeks ago from the gym teacher. She was late to class twice.  she was caught chewing gum and she's too chatty.  I saw the gym teacher at parent teacher just before Halloween and he said its been much better since the letter went home but still. 

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM
If she is getting a good grade ignore unless the teacher sends you an email. What teenager tells on themselves??? Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

If she is getting a good grade ignore unless the teacher sends you an email. What teenager tells on themselves??? Lol.

lol  she's actually good at telling on herself. But I told her if the teacher comes to me about it she'll get in trouble. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I got sent to the office for talking 2 times 5th and 9th grade. Never told my parents ever. They have passed away so they will never ever find out.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

lol  she's actually good at telling on herself. But I told her if the teacher comes to me about it she'll get in trouble. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

She's actually really good at telling on herself.   In 8th grade there was  a homework copying scandal.  More than half the kids in the class were involved.  They called it the undergound Homework.  The teacher realized something was up.  It started with one kid doig the homework and then letting his friend copy. He then gave his friend a copy.  so on and so on. Kinda like that telephone game each kid was getting something a lil off so it took the teacher a while to figure it out.  The teacher one day asks a kid who did u copy your home wrok from and he sang like a bird (teachers words) he gave up the kid and each kid kept giving up another kid.  stopping with my dd.   The teacher punished all of them that he caught.  Lowered their report card grade, extra  homework, detention.  He decided against telling parents or the dean.  She came home and confessed.

Quoting atlmom2:

I got sent to the office for talking 2 times 5th and 9th grade. Never told my parents ever. They have passed away so they will never ever find out.

Quoting Msgme:

Quoting atlmom2:

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM
The teacher should be telling the to shush, so I see your DD's point, but it's disrespectful to the other students. Common courtesy is what she's not giving when she's being so chatty.

Now having said that. I was the kid who would get an A in class and a U (unsatisfactory) in behavior because I was a talker lol

One of my DD's was the same way. Her teacher sold her to the highest bidder. Didn't stop the talking but it was a lot if fun for my DD and the class.
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

She's 15 and in high school.  She's getting a perfect grade.  I don't see a problem at all.  And just talking in class - none of the high school teachers would EVER contact a parent just for that around here.  Too many kids, other things going on.

I'd back off a little - you seem a little over-involved.

llghd74
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:59 AM

if it becomes a problem to other students around her they will speak to the teacher and if her grades is good and you get no reports from the teacher i wouldnt make to much of a big deal of it but i would consider setting up a meating with your daughters teachers and speak to each of them and see if they have any trouble out of her or if it is just the one teacher and if it is find the cause and make a salution happen. sometimes the teachers need to know that there is some parents that care because so many dont now days

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN