Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

DD has new job with strange requirement...

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM
  • 26 Replies
My daughter was just hired at a clothing store for minimum wage but they are requiring her to wear THEIR clothes while she works. This is a very expensive clothing store and they don't offer a clothing allowance. I don't think this is very fair. My daughter is 19, lives on her own and pays her own bills. I can't afford to buy them for her. Is this really fair?

UPDATE:
Thanks everyone for their input. I guess I was completely in the dark about this requirement! I do agree with whoever said they told her at her at the hiring point and she still accepted the job so we can't complain. I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I just was worried about her paying for the clothes. I haven't had a chance to ask her about the store giving her a discount yet. She did tell me she has an interview with another clothing store (name brand) on Wednesday. Lol. I hope she hasn't bought clothes yet!! Ahhhh... The world of teens!!!!!
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nkki954
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:07 AM

There are stores in my area that require that.. But the employees do get a discount.

Coqui17
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM

It makes sense. Try hitting discount outlets or online to get the clothes at a discount.  

Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM
this is common in the retail business.
hobobaby
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't think about asking about a discount. I will do that! Thanks!

Quoting nkki954:

There are stores in my area that require that.. But the employees do get a discount.

hobobaby
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Another great idea. Thanks!!

Quoting Coqui17:

It makes sense. Try hitting discount outlets or online to get the clothes at a discount.  

hobobaby
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I guess I was wrong! I'm glad I asked!! I really hope this job lasts a while.

Quoting Roo1234:

this is common in the retail business.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Not strange at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
highlandmum
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

There are quite a few stores in our area that do that.  Normally the applicants are informed during the interview process, and a discount is applied to any purchases.  I find that it is more of the stores with the name brand clothing - like Guess, Hollister, and place like that.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Not strange at all, Most clothing stores require this. She should be able to get a discount and write off as a work expense on her taxes.

KristenLystly
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Quit if she doesn't like it.

Freedom is the ultimate fairness.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN