Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

16 yr old daughter wants to live with aunt

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM
  • 36 Replies

Hi I am new to this group :) I have a 16 yr old daughter. In the middle of sept. My sister ( her aunt) came to visit us. We live in Mi she lives in MN. Me and my dd agreed she can go visit her aunt for about a month. My sister was suppose to bring her back. My sister knew I had no way of getting her in Mn . I have a limited income right now and two smaller children ages 8 and 10. Well long story short... I don't know what got into my daughter but now she doesn't want to come home. At first it was excuse after excuse on why she couldn't get her home. She is homeschooled and I send her homework through email. I talked to my sister and she says I am too hard on my dd. my dd says I treat her like a slave and that I push her too hard and don't let her socialize. Well I do push her to do good in school and be a respectful young lady. She has chores around the house and has to take care of her animals. It's just teenage drama. I'm such a mean mom. But my sister agrees with her and will not bring her home. Idk what I can do? My daughter was such a great kid! I tried calling some lawyers for advice but still waiting to hear back from them. This is killing me that my sister would do something like this! My dd father passed away when she was 5 so he's not here to help. I'm not letting my daughter stay down there if it was up to me. She is my daughter! I just don't know what to do....

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Ring the police. Now. They will be able to tell you your rights.
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quoting GleekingOut:

I agree.Your daughter is frustrating but she is a teen.I would be very upset with my sister.That is just wrong !

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Call the police.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Call the police

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone above, call the police.

bizzeemom2717
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM
This she's tech a runaway and your sister is harboring a minor

Quoting GleekingOut:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

At this point I would explain to your sister that this is your daughter and you want her returned to you immediately.  You agreed to allow her to spend a month there and time is up.  She is 16 years old and does not have a say in this.  This is your decision and if she does not have her back by XX date then you will be forced to contact the police for kidnapping out of state.  That is a felony.

kk1978
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Thanks everybody. I am going to make a call to the police and see what they say. 

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I agree, call the police. But you need a plan for when she comes home, too. Having chores around the hosue and taking care of the animals on the face of it sounds reasonable, but what level of chores are we talking about and what kind of animals? We've only got part of the story so it's really hard to say. Is there any thing that can be changed? What are the standards and can they be relaxed?

Did she telegraph anything before the visit? Like wanting to give up homeschooling and go to the local school instead? 

gonecrazi
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I would call the police because your sister wouldn't bring her home in could be kidnapping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN