Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any legal problems with your teens? Mine...curfew violation.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 24 Replies
Have any of you moms gone through legal problems of any kind with your teens? What were the charges and What were the consequencences both yours and the courts? My 13 y/o son was at a friends house for the night and they decided to go out at 1am and got busted for curfew violation. Curfew is 10pm. We went to court and he has to attend life skills classes and do 12 hours of community service. No fines. My punishment was to ground him from going to friends houses, increase household chores and I have to know where he is and who he is with at all times. He is only allowed to be with friends for a few hours during the day. I took his cell phone and music away. So far its working.

He's a good kid who made a mistake and got caught. I don't want this to become a pattern or be the beginning of his criminal behaviors and escalate to worse offenses. This is why I chose punishments that would have an impact on him and inconvenience him making life difficult and unpleasant. Eventually he will get his phone and music back but the other punishments will remain indefinitely. II've become much stricter since this incident.

Tell us your stories about brushes with the law and how you handled them.
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Did you get deferred adjudication?

We haven't had in legal issues but I was a volunteer Juvenile Probation Officer.

How are his grades and conduct in school ?That sounds a lot like what the kids that had first time curfew offenses would recieve.Did a A.D.A. talk with you first ?I ask because it also is on the lighter side...what kids with involved ,concerned parents received.Kids that the court felt like the parents were taking a stand also.

My only difference was I also put in attendance and grade average to maintain.I did that for every kid.

The majority of kids that had parents that are doing what you are were never seen in court again on a new charge : ) Kids can be dumb and hopefully learn from their mistakes .That is why these type of offenses will never show up once he is an adult.Our court system feels like teens make mistakes and if they learn from them why should a teen mistake follow them into adulthood.I agree.

Good luck ,you are doing what the parents of the successful kids did.

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds 28, was my troubled child he went to juevenile court because he wouldn't go to school and stayed out all night. It went on for almost a year before the judge sent him to a juevenile jail with the only way for him to get out was to pass his GED, no mater how long it took. It took him alomost 2 years. Today he tells me I should have had him picked up sooner and he was stupid for it taking him so long to get the message.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

We have been on the other side of the fence, where my daughter (13 at the time, now 19) was the victim of a crime.

There were 3 boys (aged 13-14) charged, two have their records wiped as they were acessories and are now out, one is still incarcerated and will not have his record wiped, he will also be on the sex offenders register. Rightfully so.

coleysmama
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
No, thank goodness. My dd is now 22. My soon to be 16 yr old has never been in any trouble ever.

Good luck and stay on him about doing the right thing.
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
No, but the neighbor kid did. Mom said he snuck out to Saran wrap a car and got caught for curfew violation. They just got tickets. No court just paid it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM

DS has been a victim of a crime but neither one of my kids have been the ones in trouble with the law.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM

DD has had to give several statements to the  police - but besides that no legal trouble.

deb51980
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Good for you.

My 13 y/o is a great son.  So far, I trust him but I do keep track of him (like I monitor his computer).  There have been incidents from time to time but each time, I found out from him.  He understands about honor.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Sorry to sound stupid here but what the heck is a curfew violation,and they actually give criminal sentences for that kind of stuff. I live In Ontario and work as court security for 5 yrs and this a first for me.  The only time teens had issues with curfew is if the court had set them as part of a probation or part of sentencing. You know specific curfew, no drugs or alcohol attend school that sort of thing. I have never heard of kids getting charges just for being out at night or in this case early morning.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM

My dd hasn't been in trouble with the law.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)