Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Family Counseling

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

We are going to start family counseling.  I go tomorrow to discuss some of the issues I guess.  Can someone tell me how this works?  What do you do if you have a kid who refuses to participate?

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Will your kid at least go with you?? Even if they say nothing they will be listening even if they don't talk. I would demand my child go if they needed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I have no idea.    Good Luck!!!

mamavalor
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I'm not sure but a neighbor of mine is starting counseling with her family too.  Best of luck!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

He will be going.  At least I assume he will be going.  The appointment is for me to go tomorrow and I assume discuss what's going on.  The problem with my going is I am a phsyciatrist dream.  Agoraphobic, they all think they can cure me.  I'll try to keep it to myself though. 

I hope he listens but he never does.  You know he got his but chewed out for lieing and stealing AGAIN (anything that's not locked up or nailed down) and I sat and watched him a few minutes after hubby went upstairs run from his room, to the stairs to peer under the door to see where he was and then rush back to go rummaging through drawers that weren't locked up (had duct tape on the drawers because it made a lot of noise) and then LIED about doing it.  This was about 20 minutes after getting chewed out!

Quoting atlmom2:

Will your kid at least go with you?? Even if they say nothing they will be listening even if they don't talk. I would demand my child go if they needed it.

02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM

not sure but wanted to wish you luck I hope it goes well

4EqltyMom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Your counselor will let you know how it works. Let the counselor lead. Just tell her/him that you've never done this before and you're not sure what to expect and they'll explain what their process is. The counselor will know how to deal with your son if he refuses to talk. It will take time to gain his trust. So it might take a while for him to talk.

If I were you I would also get a feel for the counselor and if you don't think it's a good fit for your son, find someone else. You want someone who specializes in teen issues. You should be able to tell if they're the kind of person who can relate to a teenager or not. And if they can't, find someone else.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The woman I spoke with today, well I got a good feel from her.  She didn't seem cocky, understood my concerns reguarding my son and the rest of the family.  The only problem is, the biggest thing that can help him, we've already done.  We've had the family meetings where everything was expressed and aired out.  He knew there were things that he did that was upsetting to everyone and refuses to either admit he is the problem or change his behavior.

She informed me that with an attitude like that, there is probably nothing she can do for us.  She recommended a program called CHINS and I am going to look into it, but I don't think it is available in my county.  Will check though.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I've been looking up CHINS (Children In Need of Services) and it sounds like exactly what you need. The program in MA looks tough!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)