Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Help! My 17 year old manipulates me into letting him take my car

Posted by   + Show Post

He just got his license a week ago.  He'a asked to borrow the car a few times now and more fequently.  I feel very nervous because he's driving others kids around town too.  I lecture him about the consequences and somehow he persists and I just gave in.  Now I won't relax until he comes home.  I know I should just say no, in fact the only reason I paid $$470 for  insurance is so he can take his test.  Now he needs to earn money to buy his own car. I told him I'd match him dollar for dollar that he earns.  PLEASE ADVISE. I'm a single mom on a low income too.  If anyone knows of a good old 4 cylinder for sale please let me know 

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Tell him no.Remind him that he will no longer be able to drive at all when ...not if but when he is caught with two many kids in the car.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Lay down the law.    Set rules and explain your expectations... and stick to them.      My sons had to have at least a 3.0 gpa to be allowed to get their license', which qualified them for the good student discount on insurance.    They also had to pay for their share of insurance.     It is illegal for a newly licensed driver to have minor passengers.   That would end his use of my car immediately.

Why even think about a car for him until he has earned the money??

leigh333
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM
JUST SAY NO!!!! Who is the adult here. He can loose his license only one person in the car unless siblings. Stand strong I know is easy to say when not yours, but I've had to tell my 16 yr old no repeatedly one friend or don't drive. She doesn't ask anymore, and finally gets why.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Just say no and set limits remember you are the parent. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:11 AM

You're the adult and parent~ say no.

malibucj
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Tell him no on taking your car. It's that simple.  If you are low income and can't really  help much with a car, don't give your child your word that you will match them dollar for dollar.

jenny3344
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Put a stop to it before you get in too deep. I did the same thing except I let my sons friend drive my car a few times. In hindsight I would have said absolutely NO. They put 2 small dents on the car, gave friends rides...these friends left drugs and alcohol in my car, they let my 13 y/o son drive the car and said but it was just down the road, the driver got stopped for speeding through a construction zone going 50 in a 25, and they were all out too late and were brought home by the police. They also took my car a few times in the middle of the night without my permission while i was sleeping. My son was punished pretty bad. All of this happened in a matter of a few times driving my car and I wasn't aware of some of it until after the fact. I admit I handled it wrong but I
have sure learned to say NO a lot more and to clearly spell out the rules and consequences.
Pnukey
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I think there might be a troll in our little side of the world.

In another thread you said your son was 16, and answering your own question like you are a responder and not the OP.

Maryah02
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Thank You for the reply, makes total sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)