Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Think She Should Have Been Fired?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

High School Coach Fired for Posting Personal Picture

by Jeanne Sager 

cameraAll right parents, pop quiz time. Where do you want your kids to turn to for a morality lesson? Is it to you? To the family's church, maybe? Or how about their coach's Facebook photo albums?

What? It's not the third option? I'm shocked, y'all. Shocked! After all, Laraine Cook, a girls' basketball coach at Pocatello High School in Idaho, was recently fired because of a "scandalous" Facebook photo featuring her and her fiance (the school's football coach). The problem? It was "immoral."

Well, OK, Cook says the school is calling the photo immoral.

I took a look, and I don't see anything immoral. It shows Cook in a bikini -- the photo was taken on a family vacation -- and her fiance, football coach Tom Harrison. In the photo, which Cook says was only on her Facebook page for 24 hours back in July, Harrison can be seen with his hand on Cook's breast. Make that Cook's bikini-topped breast.

We could go round and round and round again about whether it's appropriate.

But let's not and say we did, OK? Because the real issue here is that a woman was fired from her job in a public school -- and her fiance reprimanded but not fired -- because of a perfectly legal photo of her on Facebook, and we're supposed to tell our kids what?

That they should be concerned about their teachers' and coaches' personal lives outside of school? That they should be looking to their coaches' and teachers' Facebook photos for morality lessons?

Sorry, but my kid can get lessons on multiplication from her teacher, on how to maneuver a soccer ball around a defender from her coach. I don't need her turning to either one for morality lessons, and I certainly don't need her diving into their personal lives -- a la Facebook -- for what to do vs. what not to do.

Teachers and coaches are human beings. They have personal lives. Sometimes they do perfectly legal things that we might not want our kids to do. What it comes down to isn't what photos teachers are putting on Facebook but what parents are teaching their kids at home.

Teach your kids to take your moral cues from you, teach them that teachers and coaches are just regular human beings, and the world would be a better place.

What would you think if your kid's coach had a photo like this on Facebook?

Do you think she should have been fired?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Teachers need to learn they should not post scandalous photos. No one should really.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momo77
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:43 PM
She should have had her Facebook set to private.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

She's from right around me and most people feel what happened is wrong.

She got fired, but her fiance didn't and he coaches football at the same school. Why is it okay for him to have his hand on her boob, but not for her to have his hand there. Besides it's not like he's groping her, it's just placed on her boob. Really not a scandalous picture at all.

As for their private lives...it's just that. Private. They are adults, what they do on their time is their buisness and nobody else's. Don't like the picture, don't go on her page and look at it.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM

The photo isn't scandalous. His hand is more or less resting on her chest. She's not being groped.

Quoting atlmom2:

Teachers need to learn they should not post scandalous photos. No one should really.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Ridiculous.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

No.   She is a high school coach, not a nun.     Posting the picture may have been in poor taste, but it is not illegal, it was not taken at school or a school related event, and none of the team or other students were involved.

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I don't think either should be fired but if she was he should have been.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM
First of all, why were those pictures public? Or rather, why was students on her facebook? It's easy, your profile is private, and then make a PAGE for the team. Easy fix.
surromama
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:50 AM
No, she shouldn't have been fired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Personally I don't think she should have been fired. Was it in poor taste to post? Probably but she shouldn't have been fired over it.

What I want to know if it was up for one day in July who even saw it to report it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN