Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Contraceptives for Teens?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

Would you provide your teen son with condoms?

Would you put your teen daughter on the pill?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodswalker
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Of course.   At my kids 13 year old checkups our pedi advises us to make sure they have access to condoms and know how to use them.   My son has a supply but  he's 15 and i know he hasnt needed any yet.   He kind of just plays with them or gives them to friends.   My daughters 13  and I let her know I will bring her to a doctor or clinic if she ever decides she wants to go on the pill.   She just said.   Ewwww... Mom ask me again when im 18.  So she's not ready either but they both know I will give them access to birth control if they need it.   And they both know I hope they wait til they are married before they have sex.   but hormones and urges run rampant in the teen years.  And I do not want to be a grandma until my kids can support the baby on their own.    And I dont want to see them end up with an STD.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM
4 moms liked this

My answer isn't a yes or no answer.

I took mine, helped them pick out the best option for them, but they had to pay for it. Sex is a responsibility, to themselves and their partners, if they can't afford to keep themselves safe, then they aren't ready to be having sex.

My job is to educate and prepare them. Not pay for them to have sex.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

My 19yr old has been on the pill since she was 12, for another reason though, she has endometriosis so she takes the pill so she can skip most periods and only have 4 a year. She isn't in the position where she needs to worry about the 'birth control' aspect of contraceptives though.

My 14yr old is on the pill because she went and got a script. Age of medical consent is 14 here so she doesn't need me to go with her. I know she's on it because she's open with me, she says she hasn't had sex and honestly I suspect she wanted it so she could say she takes it and seem cool, with the added bonus of skipping periods. At least, should she choose to have sex in the future, she already has that portion of contraception covered.

My 17yr old son I suppose buys condoms himself. I've seen them in his room so I know he gets them somehow, honestly though if he asked me to grab a box when I was at the store I probably would.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, however I would not do it "just because".  My children and I have many talks about sex.  About how sex is not dirty or shameful.  If you're not willing to come talk to me about it, then you're not ready.  If you're not ready then you shouldn't do it.  It's not something to hide in the dark, it's something to celebrate, to glow about.  That doesn't mean share it with the world though.

The girls are aware that when they feel like they are getting close to wanting to have sex with someone, they need to come to me immediately so we can get them on the pill.  Also explained that we need 30 days to make sure that the pill they are on are not causing adverse effects and is at maximum effect.  If the boy can't wait, he's not worth sleeping with.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM
2 moms liked this
I never did. Mine are over 18. Taught abstinance and it worked. Taught them respect for their bodies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I will provide my son and daughters with condoms. I don't think it's safe for teens to take hormonal birth control.

jojo_star
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM
My 17 year old buys his own condoms, but if he asked, yes, I'd buy some. My 16 year old is on birth control, more to control her period and severe symptoms than for sex, she still has no intrest in boys or sex. My other two kids know they can come to me or my husband at any time to talk or for contraceptives.
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

If it had been necessary I would have.My older two were in college when they needed birth control.

My teens so far have not.We have talked and talked and talked why waiting is best. But if needed I would rather provide b.c. than worry about diseases and pregnancy.

Coqui17
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I will

I have her on the pill now. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Only if nec not just because they might
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)