Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

"So, mom, what if I want to be a zookeeper and live in a double wide out in the woods when I grow up?"

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
  • 31 Replies

So my daughter asked me the other day "So, mom, what if I want to be a zookeeper and live in a double wide out in the woods when I grow up?" and I basically said that if that's what she wants to do, then she should do it, and I will support her in any descision. I thought that was a good answer, and good mothering.

Apperently my mother disagreed. She said I was "letting her limit her own potential" and I should "push her". I, obviously, disagreed. My daughter, Sarah, is a very smart girl and could become a lawyer, but she hates confrontation and arguing. So why would I push her to do that, just because I think she'd rock it? I think that she has unlimited potential, but I would hate for her to get a job, high paying or not, that she had no passion for.

Sarah is a huge animal lover, and I can see her working at a zoo (she threw around ideas of being a zoo curator, and the like). Even when she was young and we went to the keys in Florida, I could see her working with animals - at 5 years old she said she wanted to be a marine biologist (not even kidding, she used that exact term). 

I get that you want your child to do well in life and be happy, I do too. But if what they want out of life is the "simple things", why not encourage them to do it? It seems to me that if my dreams for my children and their dreams don't match up, that's MY problem, not theirs. 

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM

My oldest had a plan he had wanted since he was around ten .Then in H.S. he started talking about wanting to be a construction worker.We told him that was great but we strongly encouraged him to go ahead to college.Get a degree that could be useful in construction or in a different job.Then once he graduated he could be whatever he wanted to do.If he ever changed his mind he would have something to fall back on.

It almost seemed that once he realized his employment as an adult was his choice and that we would be supportive he went back to his original plan.

PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I want my child to be happy and to be able to support herself.  

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like my mother, she is very unimpressed that DD19 is persuing her wish to become a pastry chef. I don't know why it bothers her so much, it's hardly a career to be ashamed about, but according to her it is (yet she never turns down any desserts DD makes, funny that).

momsince1985
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Well yeah, of course. But at least in my daughters case she enjoys the simple things, and hates spending money, so a low paying job wouldn't break her.

Obviously it would make no sense to have high end taste and a low paying job. That's a disaster in the making that I'd try to shut down.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I want my child to be happy and to be able to support herself.  

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I've always encouraged my children since they were younger that a college education is imperative to live comfortably ESP in this economy. Thankfully my children (2 oldest so far and youngest 16 on track) agree and are on their way to college degrees. It's part of our families value system. I also support my children's hopes and dreams. For instance if my children were interested in animals I would encourage an animal science degree such as zoology or marine biology.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Also most people that work in a zoo actually WITH and interact with the animals do have some sort of zoology degree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:23 AM

depending on her age they always change there idea for the future so I always ask why and then agree

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I encourage my kids to do whatever their hearts desire.  They can take whatever career path they choose. I only insist that they get a well rounded education so  that they can fufill whatever dream they have and have a back up plan or two just incase.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I have always felt that I want my children to do something they love and feel passionate about.  However, now that my oldest is a junior in HS, and has been saying for a couple of years that she wants to study art (ceramics), and I'm beginning to realize that her Bachelor's degree is probably going to run up a tab of close to $100k, I'm realizing I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a degree to have her end up unable to support herself after college.  My supervisor's daughter got a degree in fashion merchandising and is now living in NY working for a large retail chain, making $10.50/hr.  Her parents are footing the bill for EVERYTHING.  I'm glad they are in a position to be able to do that, but I have 2 younger children that we also have to put through school, so it is becoming increasingly important to me that they choose to do something they love that will also make them employable upon graduation!  It will definitely be a balancing act, trying to encourage them to pursue their dreams while at the same time living in the real world. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)