Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Her First Published Story!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

My dd wants to be on the school newspaper but she has to take a semesterer of journalism first.  She's half way thru that class now.  If she continues on this path she'll take news production next semester and that's when she can be on the paper.  However yesterday her teacher comes over to her and asks her if she can cover an event happening at the Jewish heritage club yesterday afternoon.  She of course jumped at the chance.  She has two days to write the story.  Which will be published online and in the newspaper.  I'm so excited for her.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Awesome. Congrats to her for this great opportunity
ForeverLawst
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Grats to her! I'm so glad she is already being recognized for her talents!

wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM

That's great!

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:27 PM

That is great.Her first by line.How exciting .

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Congrats to her! Very exciting!!

Thorlin
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Wonderful!! Good for her...

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Congrats, that was my dream when I was in my younger years!

Maverick1957
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:09 AM

What a fanTASTIC opportunity for her!  What grade is she in?  What state are you in?  

Journalism was one of my FAV courses in HS and I had THE best teacher ever. Pursued it in later years although I did not  MAJOR in such in college.  ..I studied more in ..continuing education.

Also, over the years I was [MENTORED] by some of the very best.  

Yet one of THE best pieces of advice I ever received was...WRITE FIRST, EDIT LATER.  Don't even worry about grammar, mis-spells, just let the [creative juices] FLOW.  

I used to FRET on trying to get all the grammar, the spelling right upon 1st writing.  A very wise man advised me...."You're OVER ANALYZING THIS!  Just WRITE!  You can REPAIR mistakes later!"

In these years later I've written phenomenal marketing programs, PR campaigns, ad copy, feature stories for a newspaper and more.

KEY THING is for her NOT to be ...nervous.  WRITE FIRST, EDIT LATER.  

My BRAIN always went faster than my hands could write, therefore I would take tape recorder in to interviews.  

Sounds like you've an ..aspiring Journalist on your hands.  As her mom, you stoke that fire as much as you can.  It is an EXTREMELY rewarding career and with spin-off [free lance] opps.

She should also begin, RIGHT NOW, to start a [portfolio] of all her ...writings, articles.  

YOU help her with her editing, grammar, after she's written first.    

Also another KEY thing is for, if she's wanting to pursue this as a career, 2ND BEST PIECE OF ADVICE I had learned...

PICK OUT 5 PEOPLE FOR ...MENTORS.  1 IN YOUR ...PREFERRED FIELD.  OTHERS IN OTHER FIELDS.  ASKKKK for advice.  They will bend over BACKWARDS to help a young person who's WILLING to help THEMSELVES.  

Look, I NEVER give out my personal email address however, I would like to speak with you further about your Daughter.  

maverickinbama@yahoo.com

I would be MORE than happy to help your DD in ANY way I can.  All the people that helped ME over the years...all they asked in return was that...do it for someone else in the future.  I.E.  ...."Pay it Forward"

I was blessed.  Blessings need to be carried ...Forward.  

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I'm in nyc and she is a sophomore.

she's a theatre major and quite good at it but has no desire to make acting a career.  she just really wanted to get into the high school she's in and auditioning for theatre was her best chance. 

she is interested in journalism as a possible career.. She's also interested in Psycology and is currently taking a class usually only given to seniors. 

Quoting Maverick1957:

What a fanTASTIC opportunity for her!  What grade is she in?  What state are you in?  

Journalism was one of my FAV courses in HS and I had THE best teacher ever. Pursued it in later years although I did not  MAJOR in such in college.  ..I studied more in ..continuing education.

Also, over the years I was [MENTORED] by some of the very best.  

Yet one of THE best pieces of advice I ever received was...WRITE FIRST, EDIT LATER.  Don't even worry about grammar, mis-spells, just let the [creative juices] FLOW.  

I used to FRET on trying to get all the grammar, the spelling right upon 1st writing.  A very wise man advised me...."You're OVER ANALYZING THIS!  Just WRITE!  You can REPAIR mistakes later!"

In these years later I've written phenomenal marketing programs, PR campaigns, ad copy, feature stories for a newspaper and more.

KEY THING is for her NOT to be ...nervous.  WRITE FIRST, EDIT LATER.  

My BRAIN always went faster than my hands could write, therefore I would take tape recorder in to interviews.  

Sounds like you've an ..aspiring Journalist on your hands.  As her mom, you stoke that fire as much as you can.  It is an EXTREMELY rewarding career and with spin-off [free lance] opps.

She should also begin, RIGHT NOW, to start a [portfolio] of all her ...writings, articles.  

YOU help her with her editing, grammar, after she's written first.    

Also another KEY thing is for, if she's wanting to pursue this as a career, 2ND BEST PIECE OF ADVICE I had learned...

PICK OUT 5 PEOPLE FOR ...MENTORS.  1 IN YOUR ...PREFERRED FIELD.  OTHERS IN OTHER FIELDS.  ASKKKK for advice.  They will bend over BACKWARDS to help a young person who's WILLING to help THEMSELVES.  

Look, I NEVER give out my personal email address however, I would like to speak with you further about your Daughter.  

maverickinbama@yahoo.com

I would be MORE than happy to help your DD in ANY way I can.  All the people that helped ME over the years...all they asked in return was that...do it for someone else in the future.  I.E.  ...."Pay it Forward"

I was blessed.  Blessings need to be carried ...Forward.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)