Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My Son's First Hockey Game with Checking

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 24 Replies

This is my son's first year with checking (1st year Bantam for other hockey parents), and this past Sunday they had their first coach-lead scrimmage, which is like a game but coaches are on the ice instead of refs.

So guess what happens to my son during his first hockey game with checking?

He got checked from behind. 

:(

Pretty scary for me to watch, but fortunately, he didn't have any injury from it.

Have you had any moments that made you uncomfortable while watching your child play sports?

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:57 PM

FYI - Checking from behind often results in concussions, and less than two years ago, two teenage high school players were paralyzed after being checked from behind. If the refs had been there, the player would have been banned from 3 games.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:34 PM
My son broke his wrist, and his collarbone twice in football. I actually think there was another accident somewhere in there.
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Mine played tennis, so no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

None of mine play sports, but they do enough stuff on their own that give me mini heart attacks. I don't see how you moms w/ kids who play rough sports keep your nerves in check!

PurpleHazey
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Oh hell yes! With football played with my sons I had many.

Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

One lacrosse game my DD got knocked down and hit her head on the ground. She was down for the count and crying. She never cries. She played through a broken wrist one day and did not tell anyone until the ride home. So I know as soon as she did not get up it was bad.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Not for my kids but I was at the soccer game where my sister got tripped and broke her leg.
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Quoting Jessiejack:

One lacrosse game my DD got knocked down and hit her head on the ground. She was down for the count and crying. She never cries. She played through a broken wrist one day and did not tell anyone until the ride home. So I know as soon as she did not get up it was bad.

My son gets up quickly too, so I was concerned with him sitting on the bench for a few minutes. I'm relieved he was OK. My son hasn't had a broken bone yet, but he's had sprains and not told us until later in the day.

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Oddly (or fortunately) all his injuries so far haven't happened while playing sports. Usually from just goofing around with friends.

Quoting wakymom:

None of mine play sports, but they do enough stuff on their own that give me mini heart attacks. I don't see how you moms w/ kids who play rough sports keep your nerves in check!

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

My son broke his wrist, and his collarbone twice in football. I actually think there was another accident somewhere in there.

My hubby had collarbone injuries from football too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)