Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my son normal?! Does your son do this ALL THE TIME?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this

EDIT: THANK YOU ALL FOR THE RESPONSES!  He loves reading & does. (Comics, Books based on Greek Mythology, etc.) He has no interest in sports! (which is why I think SO pushes the gaming. My SO isn't a gamer and is a HUGE Sports fanatic!  My DS a gamer, my DD1 is into sports, esp basketball & my DD2 is into music. He'll shoot hoops with the girls & listen to music with them too... I was just concerned about the amount of time he spends on the gaming system. His high school is a tech school & they just introduced a programming class, that of course he will take once he gets to that grade. 

Thanks for the advice :)

So my son is 14, gets straight A's, completes all of his homework, does all of his chores (most of the time without being asked), even does some chores that aren't his w/out being asked... He's active & works out - P90x, Insanity, etc. at school and works out at home. With that being said - he is on his Xbox ALL THE TIME! After all that is done, he spends the rest of his waking moments eating or on his XBox... this adds up to about 3.5 - 4 hours a day! Longer if it's the weekend. My SO (his soon to be step-father) says he plays too much. I don't know what else to have him do. Most of his friends don't live close by & even if they did, he'd be over there playing on their gaming station! He plays with his sisters & step-sisters on the XBox  - during the day they do go out and play until it gets dark, but now it's dark by 5:30 & he isn't home until 4:30 from school... any advice?! Are there other things teen boys can do? Is my son normal?! LOL Oh he also loves reading & spends the last 30 minutes or so before bed w/ a book. He's not athletic & isn't into sports... Should I just let him continue to be a gamer or should I force him into other activities?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM
3 moms liked this

My kids spend a LOT of time on their game systems. Sometimes several hours a day and while I don't like it, it isn't going to kill them ether. If he is getting sufficient exercise at school and keeping in shape, then I wouldn't freak out.

HOWEVER, it is also my opinon that kids need to be active in their community. Mine MUST choose at least one activity to be part of that gets them out of the house at least once a week. Here there are many options...

• Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts
  • Antlers -Youth program through the Elks Lodge
  • Teen court -DS1 serves on a jury 2x a month for non-violent first time youth offeners
  • Big Brother
  • Volunteering somewhere - Animal shelter, homeless shelter,, tutoring younger kids, etc.

DS1 does the first three - BSA, Antlers and Teen court...

DS2 and DD both do Scouts and Antlers.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM
6 moms liked this

One of my sons is a major gamer.   He spends at least 3- 4 hours a day gaming.   I don't worry about it.   It is what he chooses to do in his down time.      As long as he is meeting his responsibilities and is a well rounded guy, I don't see a problem.

My other son will spend hours drawing, or watching the History Channel or ESPN.  Those are his interests, his relaxation.   

Your son sounds normal to me!   

kim8934
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds normal to me.  All the boys in my family do that too, ie; sons, nephews, male cousins, etc

s.osborne
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM
5 moms liked this

Totally normal. My 10 year old SS does this too. At least he's not out drinking, doing drugs and impregnating women LOL

BlinginMamma
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. My son will start tutoring 1-2 days/ week for school. We do volunteer for the Special Olympics every quarter... and he is required to get community service. I like the idea of him joining a program in the community! I will be looking into it. Glad to know he is pretty normal! :)

MamaKarrot
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM
4 moms liked this

I was exactly like this as a teen.  Good grades, good kid, helpful, LOVED my computer.  I sat on Sims for hours.  My parents let me because I did everything I was asked around the house and did well in school.  I'm a normal adult.  Still like the computer a lot, lol.

SissyMacK
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Hubby and I are gamers.  In our house, we wouldn't have any problem with this.  He does pleanty of other things and sounds very responsible, relax and let him play. 

corrinacs
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him.  If he's fulfilled in his life, doing well in school, and enjoying his extracurriculars...I see nothing wrong with his extra gaming time.

Besides, they did a study and found that surgeons who regularly played video games had fewer mistakes :).

Mommy4000
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's normal for teenagers. We gave my son an x-box in 4th grade, and he was pretty much on it non-stop after school and weekends from the moment we gave it to him, but over the summer, he just turned 13, he decided he just wasn't into video games anymore and asked if he could sell his system and games to buy some things he'd been wanting. It was certainly fine with me. I was actually starting to regret getting it for him in the first place. I think video games and teens just sort of go hand in hand, but obviously they should have other interests, and it isn't necessarily affecting your son as far as school or activity level, so it's probably okay to let him play when he has free time to do so.

MinglingMom
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds normal to me. You get the bonus of him being a great student too and not all moms get that. :) I think it's great that he also plays with his sisters... not all brothers do that. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)