Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Homework problems - teacher says it's an image problem?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 23 Replies
Ever heard of 12/13 year old boys having problems just turning HW in even when they've done it? Teacher said it's an image problem?
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof697
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I have heard of a boy doing all the work and not handing it in because the other kids don't.  I don't know what to suggest though.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I read mom's say it here all the time. My kids did because mine were punished and didn't want to be punished.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopesNDreams
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM
It's extremely common for a variety of reasons. Did it and left it at home/in bag/in locker. Did it and lost it. Did it and didn't want people to know he did it. Did it and didn't know where they pur it after they did it.

Completing homework but not turning it in is one of the biggest issues once kids become more independant with their work.
MikeysMom22
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Maybe hanging out with kids that actually turn in their work and on time might be a good thing. Could start being a problem in high school if they want to get into a good college and/or get a job. They might be getting an F or an incomplete on it,if not handing it in back in the day. 

VLMarga
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. Will work on this with my son. I sure do miss when they were babies!
Msgme
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

when my son was in 7th grade he had a competition with his friends on who could do the worst in  his english classes. his teacher had an odd system on when she would call home so It took awhile for me to become aware of the situation.  he would do homework at home so that i didnt know something was up but wasnt handing it in.The teacher would only call home if he missed 3 in a row.  Same with failed tests. So he would miss 2 homeworks then hand one in.  test he would get 0 0 then a 65 so he would avoid the call home.

woodit2u
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

My SD(10) sits down and does her homework every night. Sometimes she spends hours on it (she is easily distracted and I frequently catch her daydreaming or just staring out the window.) She also has problems turning in her homework. Why on Earth you wouldn't turn in something you spent hours on is beyond me. I think it's an organizational and responsibility problem.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
4 moms liked this
Tell him you will go turn it in for him, lol there's an image problem for him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat4458
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I know, I don't get it spending all the time it takes to do the work & not turning it in.  What a waste... I do not have that issue with my 15 yo dd. Her work gets turned in but she has some trouble with Science tests. I have a friend of mine who does with her dd. I think her kid is fibbing that she got it done. How do parents really... know their kids have done the work just because the kid says so?

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Tell him you will go turn it in for him, lol there's an image problem for him

LOL I have been known to threaten to do this .I also told them I would use their cute little baby nicknames while talking with the teacher.Though it wasn't an image issue it was head in the air ,not being focused issue.Apparently not being sure if mom really would or not but not wanting to take a chance....cuz ya never know with mom...was enough to help them stay focused.   ; ).......I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)