Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Crazy Mother in Law

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am about to put my husband into counseling so he can see the abusive person she is to him.  Does anyone else have a husband who is aware of how abusive his mom is but still goes back to get abuse and ALLOWS his children to be abused by her? 

I've put my foot down tonight.  She is no longer allowed to speak to them.  She's mean and hateful.

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Newbie-SM
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM

yea my Bf's mom. Ive known her for Two yrs and she is straight an EVIL low person! and my bf knows it but i think hes a fuckin mommas boy =/ its so pathetic but i cant let that bring me down i cant ill go crazy

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Me.

As in me, not my husband. My mother is not a nice person, but she will always have a hold on me.
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:09 AM
My MIL no. My stepmother yes. She was abusive to me growing up, once she started the mental nonscence with my kids I cut ties. Thankfully she and my Dad are now divorced. We only have to see her very rarely.
ForeverLawst
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I've told you about my crazy, narcissistic mother and how I barely made it out of my teens alive. Counseling is the best place for your DH. *HUGS*

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM
My MIL is the best ever. Treats us all so great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

You can keep the kids away and have him see her away from you if he insists on seeing her. 

I think he is probably looking for approval from her and will take things she does with a grain of salt just because she is his mother. 

When your kids are mature enough let them choose if it is worth it to see her let it be their choice or they will resent you if she dies before they can reconnect with her.

I would never keep my husband away from his family and would not allow him to keep me away from mine it should be my choice for who I deal with and the same for him. 

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

My m-i-l was that way to me but as long as she was kind to my children AND didn't disparage me or otherwise involve her dislike of me with my children she could grandmother them.My husband backed this up ....most of the time ....so she kept her behavior appropriate.It was too easy to make us have too many things to do so she got the message .She actually was a more involved ,active and caring grandmother than my mother .My m-i-l learned we were serious and was able to enjoy her grandchildren.

I limit interaction with my mother.She is very ,very critical ,controlling ,she calls things a

suggestion but they are actually a command and blows up.She really doesn't like babies ,toddlers ,kids ,teens ....they have opinions on oh say politics that may be different than hers. 

My grandparents were great and we are very close to my maternal uncle.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM
My ex's mil is that way. Thankfully I don't have to see the woman anymore through the magic of divorce. My kids are old enough over age 12 to understand that Grandma isn't the most emotionally healthy person and to take what she says with a grain of salt but still act respectfully towards her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

My MIL isn't abusive but she can manipulate and guilt both of her kids into doing anything/everything she wants.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

No, my MIL is sweet.   Of course, we rarely see her, lol.      My Mother, on the other hand, is driving us all crazy.    She is very needy and expects us to be at her beck and call, 24/7.   No matter how much we do for her...it is never enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)