Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

At what age is a good age?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 32 Replies

I had asked this question a while back & this is what happened at the physical.  I was TOLD (not asked) to leave the room for the physical. My  15 yo dd was not asked if she WANTED me to stay the doctor told me to leave.I had asked my dd prior to the appt if she wanted me to stay or leave & she said she wanted me to stay with her.I was pretty stunned that I was told to leave.

At what age did you stop going into the examining room for a physical with your dd or have you? My one concern is will the doctor even have time to talk to me after she has been in to see her.

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
My DS was in about 8th grade. My DD is a soph and has always asked for me to stay in with her. A good doctor will understand and take the time to still talk to you about any questions or concerns if your dd requests to meet privately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

My DS was in about 8th grade. My DD is a soph and has always asked for me to stay in with her. A good doctor will understand and take the time to still talk to you about any questions or concerns if your dd requests to meet privately.

Yup pretty much the same here.Our pedi sees them till the end of college ,once in college my daughter went on her own sometimes ,other times I went.The times she went on her own her pedi and I emailed through her office email.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

At my oldest's 15-year-checkup, the doctor told my daughter that starting at 15 she usually asks mom to leave the exam room for a few minutes so she can chat privately with the patient. She asked my daughter if this was okay, dd said yes (I had spoken to her about this before hand--had a feeling it might happen--so she was prepared), I left for maybe 2 minutes and then the doc called me back in.  We repeated the same process at the 16 year checkup. She just spoke to her about whether or not she was sexually active and made sure she knew she needed to use condoms if she decided to have sex, and told her she could come to them for birth control if necessary.  My daugther isn't ready to 'go it alone' completely with the doctor yet, so this was a good compromise.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I haven't yet, my oldest DD is 12.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM
14 is the age of medical consent here. Usually from that age onwards my kids make appointments and go on their own.
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

LOL, mine still wants me to go in and she is 22.  She doesn't mind.  She isn't naked.  I don't go to the gyno but if she is ill or whatever she drags my butt along. 

DD almost 20 had a physical 1 1/2 years ago.  I was in there the whole time.  She didn't care at all.  There are no secrets between my girls and I that they wouldn't say in front of the doctor. 

I say if your kids are uncomfortable leave.  If they are not, who cares about their age. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I say if your kids are uncomfortable leave.  If they are not, who cares about their age. 

I agree with this.

My dd is now 20 and has asked me to go along to appointments with her. If I am able to I will. However, I don't feel the need to talk to the doctor about anything related to my dd/dd's appointment. That is between my dd and her doctor.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

When they no longer wanted me to, but that never really happened.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I have sons.   I just leave the room for the exam, but I am there for the discussion, per my son's choice.

TatyBear
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
My oldest is 11 1/2 she has never had a physical exam. Nor has my 5 yr old. But age of consent here is either 12 or 13. Can't remember exactly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)