Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Any advice on how to help an insomniatic 14 year old?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey everyone,

My little girl is having a lot of trouble sleeping and while both Melatonin and Benadryl get her to sleep, she can't seem to stay asleep. When I woke her up for school today she started to cry!

I have a consultation with a hypnotherapist on Friday, but what do we do until she starts treatment? Any tips?

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I have the same problem.    I wake up every 2 hours.   My trick is to read.   Staying in bed, staring at the clock is a waste of time.    Suggest she sit up and grab a text book...  reading will relax her ...and a text book may bore her to sleep :/

woodswalker
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Aww, poor thing.   No advice for you.  But hoping the hypnotherapist helps.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I hope you figure it out. Mine always needed sleep. In bed at 9 in hs and up just before 6. Still not enough sleep for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverLawst
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I have a CD of ocean sounds (very rhythmic) that I keep on at night. Something like that might work. Ask your hypnotherapist about a NLP CD. I can't sleep without mine.

nannymi
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

These are a few ideas that helped my daughter.  Make sure all phones and electronics are plugged in the kitchen, not her bedroom.  Remove all caffeen from her diet.  No sugar or stimulants at least an hour before bed.  Get plenty of excercise and fresh air during the day.  Turn the TV off an hour before bed. The bright lights from TV and electronics will keep her awake.  Make sure her room is dark, no night lights. A cup of warm sleepytime tea.

PurpleHazey
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM

You don't give them meds just to put them to sleep...This I have a problem with!

PurpleHazey
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Quoting ForeverLawst:

I have a CD of ocean sounds (very rhythmic) that I keep on at night. Something like that might work. Ask your hypnotherapist about a NLP CD. I can't sleep without mine.

Now that is a great idea

02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Melatonin should work if she is taking the right amount sounds like her dose is to low for her size the dr can tell you the correct amount.

jjchick75
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I have had the same problem as long as I can remember and I have never really found a solution. Hope you can figure out something for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN