Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Announcement order form arrived today!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 29 Replies

UGH! Just under $100 for the "essential" package (25 announcements with 2 envelopes, traditional or deluxe name cards, announcement tissue, return address labels, envelope seals, deluxe envelopes, thank you notes, & key ring). Seriously??? Why does someone need all that as "essentials"?! A key ring isn't essential! tissue paper?? Really??

So my friend who has a senior as well (actually my DS's best friend) & I are thinking we make our own announcements. We could use the wording from the pics in the brochure. Then go to Staples or Office Max & get our own paper. Print them up ourselves at home. Possibly cheaper. And I don't even think I have 25 people to send announcements to so why spend the money? I know I can order just the announcements & name cards without ordering everything else. Haven't figured the cost on that yet.

Personally my DS doesn't care. His words are "there are more important things for our family". In other words- he knows this single mom struggles to begin with & having the added cost of this is going to be a strain on me. AND the school wants to orders by December 3rd! 

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM
They are expensive. Ours had to be ordered in October when mine graduated. Many make their own or order cheaper ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I think this is what I'm going to do. It's so much cheaper! As long as I get the wording right what difference does it make? And my friend has posted a similar question on fb & several of her friends said they have or will be making their own too! And some are moms who I know have 1 or 2 kids & both parents make good money. So I'm not feeling like an oddball here! (I have 5 kids, am single, & make crap)

Quoting atlmom2:

They are expensive. Ours had to be ordered in October when mine graduated. Many make their own or order cheaper ones.
ThreeKidsEnough
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
You might look into online companies that can customize and print unique ones that you design. When my daughter graduated last year we did that, and they came out really nice. You can add your own pictures, customize the layout, and have a whole lot of options. We used a company called PhotoAffections, but there are other ones out there. My daughter's came out great, and they were reasonably priced.
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I live in Massachusetts where these types of announcements are simply not done.  In fact, I  never heard of them until I started to frequent Mom message boards.

kimsamomof3
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM
It's crazy! The cheapest package here is $140.00. I didn't purchase them. We will make our own or just tell everyone. There aren't that many people that will go.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Ours came with a package with all the grad stuff I think we got around 50 for my son and yes it was expensive a few years ago!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Those packages are always expensive.They love to throw JUNK in to justify the cost.

Think your idea of printing your own invitations is excellent.You could even look for stock or paper that are more personal to him and his interests.

JTROX
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I filled out our order for graduation stuff a month ago.  It was expensive.  I didn't even know how much to order.

I can't believe my little boy is so old!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM

There are expensive.

We only purchased the announcements and envelopes when our dd graduated. She sent out store purchased Thank you cards.

CampClan
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM

That's the thing- the announcements are to just say "Hey DS is graduating this year!" in hopes to get a graduation gift from people we don't see ever & DS barely knows. The actual graduation- he gets 2 tickets! 2! That's it! Seriously? That pisses me off the most. He wants me & my ex (not even his biofather) & both my parents & the exMIL to come! Then there's the party! I'm thinking of mutlitasking with the announcements & sending a party invite to those we want to invite at the same time! LOL

Quoting kimsamomof3:

It's crazy! The cheapest package here is $140.00. I didn't purchase them. We will make our own or just tell everyone. There aren't that many people that will go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)