Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips on teaching teens to be humanitarians

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi,

I am brand new to this site, but glad to know of it. This morning, I was listening to a radio station asking parents to call in and tell what they are getting their kids for Christmas. Lot's of overpriced  stuff was what I was hearing, so I called in to say what we do. I always get my children one really nice thing they ask for, and last year, we started a new tradition, of getting the World Vision catalogue, and letting each of them pick who they would like to help, and how, from children in need around the world. Then I made a donation in their name to that cause. They really liked that, and it gave them the opportunity to realize their blessings, and to remember the true spirit of Christmas...giving

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessicaR7
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I like that idea...thank you for sharing :)

sahlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM
3 moms liked this

dec. 23rd is our "family day" since the holidays are so busy with extended family we choose to turn off the phones and spend the whole day with just our immediate family.  Every year the first thing we do is some sort of charity event, or donation, or activity.

This year we are going to the airport to help hand out food and toiletries at the USO.

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.When my oldest was returning to Anchorage from a training camp in Ca. he got caught in a massive snow storm in Seattle.They were at the airport for three days.It was very painful for me because he was deploying very soon and it upset me to think of those days in the airport.Then he started telling us all that the U.S.O and their volunteers were doing for them.Made a HUGE difference to them ....and a certain mom who was being overly chipper and positive on the phone ; )

Thank you and your family.

Quoting sahlady:

dec. 23rd is our "family day" since the holidays are so busy with extended family we choose to turn off the phones and spend the whole day with just our immediate family.  Every year the first thing we do is some sort of charity event, or donation, or activity.

This year we are going to the airport to help hand out food and toiletries at the USO.

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Welcome to the group

sahlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM

this is our first time... not sure what to expect but looking forward to it.

Quoting drfink:

Thank you.When my oldest was returning to Anchorage from a training camp in Ca. he got caught in a massive snow storm in Seattle.They were at the airport for three days.It was very painful for me because he was deploying very soon and it upset me to think of those days in the airport.Then he started telling us all that the U.S.O and their volunteers were doing for them.Made a HUGE difference to them ....and a certain mom who was being overly chipper and positive on the phone ; )

Thank you and your family.

Quoting sahlady:

momma-of-three3
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM
My middle child sponsors a little boy through world vision.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

We do lots throughout the year. I appreciate people that do help at the holidays but need is never ending!

We do food drives at least twice a year and serve dinner at the homeless shelter at least quarterly. I'm on the "emergency call" list if they run short in addition to my 4 regular times.

The USO sounds like it would be pretty cool but we are at least an hour annd a half from any major airport. We have done collections of items for Operation Gratitude.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Welcome!      Sounds like a great idea!     When our kids were growing up, every year they each chose a name from the Angel Tree.  

02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

we always help someone either a senior with a gift and food for a week or kids with toys, clothes. and food for a week

drfink
by Emily on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Our church does something called Loaf every other week.Take a loaf of bread make sandwiches ,add water ,fruit ...a sack meal .Load up on our buses and head out to the homeless areas.Once a kid gets to 5th and up they are encouraged to make sack meals and go also

My older three have all been involved with Best Buddies through high school.

Once a month our church with members prepare a hot meal and take it to a park where many homeless gather on Sunday afternoons.We have plenty of adults and most of our active teens.Never had a problem..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)