Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are your kids quick to forgive?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son and one of his very best friends had a falling out over the summer. Some really harsh things were said by the other kid and after the initial feeling of betrayal wore off, my son moved on from the friendship. Fast forward to now, the former friend knows he was in the wrong and has since apologized and tried to make amends.

My son has accepted his apology but has told me that he hasn't forgiven him and he doesn't know if he can.

Unfortunately he is much like I am. I feel like maybe I have jaded him with my stubborness when it comes to being able to forgive people who have hurt me.

Are your kids quick to forgive? How about you?

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM

yes, they do forgive easily if there is an honest apology.  Hubs and I are not grudge holders in any way, and so thankfully they have learned to completely forgive and to accept that we all make mistakes.

However, I have also taught them that they must learn from mistakes; theirs and others.  They might forgive and be your friend again, but they will keep a bit of guard up until you have proven your self again... but they will give that chance if you have sincerely apologized.

We have taught them that sincere apologies are in 3 parts.  Taking ownership of what you did wrong with out excuse. Acknowledging how it affected the other person. And explaining how you will do things differently in the future.  Just saying the words "im sorry" is NOT an apology.

atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Mine forgive. Almost too easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM
No but then again neither do I.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM

They seem to be pretty quick to forgive. Me, I can take a while sometimes, longer than I should at times, but I do tend to get over it eventually.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

My kids are excellent on forgiving and find themselves giving mommy a talk about learning how to let things go as I tend to be very weak in that area. So glad they did not pick up the unforgiving part from me but I am working on it as it takes me probably longer than I should to let things go.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:54 AM
My Dd yes my ds no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)