Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

It's your fault your kid has ADHD

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 20 Replies

Someone just posted this to my FB page....

According to Marilyn Wedge, (who apparently has her Ph.d...) the reason French kids don't have ADHD is because they (the French) know how to parent effectively. She states that if American parents knew how to set boundaries, like the French, there wouldn't be no, or little, ADHD - and the behaviors that can accompany it would dissipate.

I am stymied....her poor patients.

This rubbish was actually published in Psychology Today.  

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/why-french-kids-dont-have-adhd

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juno1
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Does anyone know how to turn the link into a hyperlink?

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/why-french-kids-dont-have-adhd

Highlight your text and then click the box next to the sweetpea button. Then copy your text into the pop-up box.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah,. well this article explains my late mother in law, who was French and who abused her kids.

juno1
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Thanks!

Quoting gdiamante:

Highlight your text and then click the box next to the sweetpea button. Then copy your text into the pop-up box.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I often wonder if the authors of all the "Why French children don't *insert something normal here*" books have ever met anyone from France?

ScattrdSquirrel
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this

While it's true that North America has more kids diagnosed with ADHD and ADD than the rest of the world, I don't think it's because of how we raise our children per se, I think it's got more to do with how quick our doctors are to diagnose these problems and prescribe pills over alternative treatments.  It is the way our society is, not how we, as parents, raise our children.  But that's just my humble opinion

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

LMAO.    I won't bother to waste my time by reading such hogwash.    My kids are part French.  lol

wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Pardon me while I go laugh like crazy. Ds1 has always had boundaries set, and been punished for misbehaving, and he has ADHD.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I read the article. I believe it focused more on why they do not have the large numbers of diagnosed and medicated kids with ADHD that America does. I do have a child with ADHD and there is a lot of truth to what she says. The 'blame' is not just on the parents. Their entire society functions differently. There is a great deal more structure - what child with ADHD does not respond to that? There are fewer chemicals in the food and less snacking on junk and juice - don't we all try that with our kids with ADHD? The schools work with the behaviors, reducing the need to medicate, whereas American schools push patents to get a prescription or increase a dosage.

The intent of the article is not to say that we as American parents have created this for our children, but instead that we as an American society have perpetuated it.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I used to believe that..and then I had Sean! LOL

I blame it in the chemicals and crap in the prepackaged processed food as well as hormones and chemicals in meds, vacci es, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN