Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

middle school math parent survey

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hello everyone,

I'm a middle school math teacher, and I'm conducting a very short parent survey aimed at parents of children in grades 6 through 8. I'm looking to collect as much data as possible to improve students' and parents' educational experiences. Any feedback at all would be highly appreciated!

First name (or pseudonym, if you wish to remain anonymous:

City/State:

Type of school (public, private, or charter):

Grades and genders of children:

1) How do you primarily help your child/children with math and why?

2) What challenges do you face in helping your child with math and why?

3) In what ways do you desire teachers' support of your efforts to help your child/children with math and why?

Thanks so much, everyone!

by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Mine are past Middle school but if you want me to answer the way things were back then, I will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cp2617
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Unfortunately I'm collecting this survey as part of a group effort with some other NYC teachers, and the guidelines say we have to talk to current middle school parents. Thanks so much for the offer, though!

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Sorry both of mine have graduated.
cp2617
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

No problem! Thanks anyway!

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Bump

Mommy2Boys0900
by Donnie's Mom on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I'm from NYC with an 8th grader in Catholic school. As a part of your research, do you send home a survey to the parents of middle school kids?
I very rarely help my son with his homework. He hardly ever ask for my help in math. I doubt I would be much help to him anyway

Quoting cp2617:

Unfortunately I'm collecting this survey as part of a group effort with some other NYC teachers, and the guidelines say we have to talk to current middle school parents. Thanks so much for the offer, though!

sahlady
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

san diego, CA

public school

currently my youngest is in 6th grade... NOT middle school in our district

1) I read the math problem aloud to her and rephrase it or draw it out if need be.  why... because she asked for help

2) with my kids in 6th grade - 8th I dont face any challenges helping them

3) our teachers are AMAZING people and they have always seemd to put in 100% I dont know they could do more

cp2617
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Thanks, everyone! And yes, I sent out surveys home to my students' parents where they ranked their agreement with various statements on a scale of 1 to 5. The questions I posted here are supposed to count as qualitative/interview data, and I wanted to do some online work to get a sampling from various parts of the country. This is helpful; thanks for your time!

CampClan
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Quoting cp2617:

First name (or pseudonym, if you wish to remain anonymous): CampClan

City/State: Reynoldsburg, OH

Type of school (public, private, or charter): Public

Grades and genders of children: 12th grade DS, 8th grade DD, 7th grade DD, 10yo DS, & 4yo DS

1) How do you primarily help your child/children with math and why? I don't because I suck at math so they don't ask me for help unless it's easy math. If they need help they call my dad who is a retired 4th grade math teacher (previously taught 7th & 8th grade math as well)

2) What challenges do you face in helping your child with math and why? Like I said- I suck at it so anything more than 4th grade math is too much for me.

3) In what ways do you desire teachers' support of your efforts to help your child/children with math and why? I don't

Thanks so much, everyone!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

First name (or pseudonym, if you wish to remain anonymous:

City/State: South Central PA

Type of school (public, private, or charter): Public

Grades and genders of children: DD~ college, DS1 6th grade, DS2 3rd grade.

1) How do you primarily help your child/children with math and why? IF I help my children with math it's because they've asked for help. I will read or re word the directions to help. My 6th grader rarely asks for help my 3rd grader will occasionally ask for help with a problem.

2) What challenges do you face in helping your child with math and why?The biggest challenge is our district uses Everyday Mathematics in the elementary schools and  will be changing to the Math in Focus program next year. I didn't learn math the way it is taught now so if I can't help with a concept my dd will help her brothers if they need it.

3) In what ways do you desire teachers' support of your efforts to help your child/children with math and why?  The teachers are supportive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN