Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

OT: What's the Worst Mistake You've Made While Preparing Thanksgiving Dinner?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

5 Mistakes That Ruin Thanksgiving Stuffing

by Emily Abbate 

stuffingIn my family, Thanksgiving stuffing isn't exactly a science. It usually comes from a bag, gets cooked in whichever way the instructions say you're supposed to cook it, and then the flavor doesn't matter because it's doused with gravy. With that said, I feel sort of bad that we haven't given the stuffing the attention it deserves the past, oh, 20 years or so. The hard truth? Homemade stuffing is totally amazing. Heck, it can be fantabulous! I've seen the light -- and that light is homemade stuffing.

The only catch? You just have to go about making it the right way. Here, check out these 5 mistakes that ruin stuffing:

1. You make it ON Thanksgiving: If you're making your stuffing from scratch, the bread you're using needs time to dry out. If the bread is more than a day old, then it will be stale, better for use, and your stuffing won't dry out.

2. You try to make it "skinny": Oh come on, Thanksgiving happens once a year. If you try to reduce the amount of butter you use for your stuffing recipe, you'll be majorly sacrificing on taste.

Stuffing_Mistakes3. Cooking it in the turkey: Whatever stuffing you make inside your turkey is totally NOT the kind of stuffing you want to serve your guests. Why's that? Because in order for the stuffing to cook, in the center of the turkey, the temperature needs to be at 165°F. You know what that means? By the time you get the right temperature for your stuffing, your bird is kaputz. Overcooked. In other words, not tasty.

4. You forget to take its temperature: With that said, taking the temperature of your stuffing IS important because there's usually raw egg in there. Like I said, the temperature should be 165°F.

5. You don't make enough: This is the WORST. Everyone loves stuffing. And when you run out, you essentially ruin Thanksgiving. Don't be the woman who ruins Thanksgiving!

What's the worst mistake you've made while preparing Thanksgiving dinner?

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hriabywx4
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Lol I bought a large chicken instead of a small turkey :) cooked it anyways! My oldest stepson informed me that it was the best turkey he'd ever had, it tasted just like chicken! He was 6 at the time :)
proudmother5946
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I always stuff my turkey. I've never had my turkey come out overcooked. Maybe it's my stuffing recipe? I always make an extra pan of it too.

02nana07
by Ida on Nov. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Can't really think of anything right now

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Lol, that's funny. At least it was a hit!

Quoting hriabywx4:

Lol I bought a large chicken instead of a small turkey :) cooked it anyways! My oldest stepson informed me that it was the best turkey he'd ever had, it tasted just like chicken! He was 6 at the time :)
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM
We always stuff it too. Never had a dry bird, and never had anyone get sick.

Quoting proudmother5946:

I always stuff my turkey. I've never had my turkey come out overcooked. Maybe it's my stuffing recipe? I always make an extra pan of it too.

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I've never cooked for Thanksgiving, so not an issue.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM

The first yr I cooked Thanksgiving dinner, I left the baggie of giblets in the turkey. Turkey tasted just fine, though, thank goodness!

texansmommy
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM
This!

Quoting wakymom:

The first yr I cooked Thanksgiving dinner, I left the baggie of giblets in the turkey. Turkey tasted just fine, though, thank goodness!

PurpleHazey
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Having dinner at my sons house.

btherese
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I've left the package of giblets in the turkey. Still turned out fine, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN