Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much sleep does your teen get?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 23 Replies

My dd is 14 and she will sleep 12 hours if she can, and then a few hours later she is tired again. I'm a little worried bc she is always so tired. So how much sleep is normal and when should I be concerned?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Ds1 is 14 and gets 7-8 hrs on school nights, and 10-12 on weekends. It all depends on how much trouble he has getting to sleep.

I'd mention how tired your dd is all the time to her dr. It could be as simple as she's not active enough or not eating properly, or there could be something else going on.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
She may be growing. As long as she is active and doing well in school socially and it is just a phase I wouldn't worry too much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madhouseof5
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Teens need sleep and lots of it and it seems more so in the daylight hours

A lots happening to their bodys
chicken13
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

If you're concerned....mention it to her dr.  

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM

School nights 17 yr old avgs about 8 ,a little more on weekends.15 yr old around 7 and also a little more on weekends.My youngest has always ,even as a child ,needed less sleep.Different kids even in the same family have different sleep patterns.

Is this very recent or normal for her.If she develops anything more give the doc a call. My daughter was exhausted for a couple of weeks her junior year.She was crashing ,made an appt with her doc a few days later but she became sick before the appt.She had mono.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM
In HS weekdays mine were in bed right near 9. Asleep by 9:30 ish. Up 5:45. 8 hours or a tad more. They needed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

She did have mono around Christmas last year. Well, when she first got sick, they didn't test for mono. She had a really bad sore throat and they tested for strep, which was negative, but then after the sore throat went away she was exhausted for several weeks and I'm pretty sure it was mono. She doesn't have any other symptoms that I can see right now. But it is concerning for her to be so tired. Today for example, I woker her up at 9 for church but she was so tired that we didn't go. She went back to bed, slept until after 1. We got up and had some breakfast/lunch and tried to do some shopping but she was too tired and now we are back home and she is back in bed. 

Quoting drfink:

School nights 17 yr old avgs about 8 ,a little more on weekends.15 yr old around 7 and also a little more on weekends.My youngest has always ,even as a child ,needed less sleep.Different kids even in the same family have different sleep patterns.

Is this very recent or normal for her.If she develops anything more give the doc a call. My daughter was exhausted for a couple of weeks her junior year.She was crashing ,made an appt with her doc a few days later but she became sick before the appt.She had mono.

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Ya when she went in for a earlier appt with a sore throat the mono was missed also.Then within a week she was very sick .The first thing the pedi said is what friend has mono.Girls catch it from girls because they share drinks ,food ,forks....guys catch it from gfs.My dingdong daughter plays golf.It was the final tournament of the school year.Her partner came in from having mono to play the tournament.It was hot so they decided to share their Gatorade so the other bottles would stay cold.The bags have built in cooler compartments.So my daughter drank after her golf partner that was sick with mono and only there for the tournament.She neglected to tell me that part or I would have known.

That seems unusually tired even for a busy growing teen.Call her doc tomorrow and see if they will talk to you.I would give it a day or two but if she doesn't improve I would take her in.Could she be very anemic?

Quoting pce68:

She did have mono around Christmas last year. Well, when she first got sick, they didn't test for mono. She had a really bad sore throat and they tested for strep, which was negative, but then after the sore throat went away she was exhausted for several weeks and I'm pretty sure it was mono. She doesn't have any other symptoms that I can see right now. But it is concerning for her to be so tired. Today for example, I woker her up at 9 for church but she was so tired that we didn't go. She went back to bed, slept until after 1. We got up and had some breakfast/lunch and tried to do some shopping but she was too tired and now we are back home and she is back in bed. 

Quoting drfink:

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Anemia???

Quoting pce68:

Quoting drfink:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Maybe.

Quoting atlmom2:

Anemia???

Quoting pce68:

Quoting drfink:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)