Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much sleep does your teen get?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd is 14 and she will sleep 12 hours if she can, and then a few hours later she is tired again. I'm a little worried bc she is always so tired. So how much sleep is normal and when should I be concerned?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
rebeccab1966
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM

My 14 year old son goes to bed before I do!  He usually gets 9 or 10 hours a night, but more on the weekend.  I think they just grow so much at this age, their bodies need so much rest.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

When mine were in HS they slept 9:30 til 6:30 most nights. Weekends I didnt care as long as they could handle work and sports.

SAMandy
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

A couple of thoughts. Firstly, if she did have mono, it can flare up again at any time so it's worth a blood check to see if she has the antibodies in her blood. Secondly, depending on where you are, she could have Lyme's disease - VERY common for causing fatigue. Lastly, if she has heavy periods, it could be anemia. But all could be figured out by seeing the doctor. Her fatigue does sound extreme. My 13 year old was recently diagnosed with mild fibromyalgia and even her fatigue isn't as debilitating as what you're describing.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM
What you are describing is extreme. I would definitely take her to the DR and have her checked out.
Maverick1957
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

SS, now 18, usually is in bed, lights out by 9, up by 6:30.  On wkends, he usually sleeps til noon or after.  I think it's a hormonal, testosterone thing.

With girls I think it's hormonal.  

SAMI_JO
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM

DS is 15 and sleeps 12 hours, due to seizure meds; and is still hard to get up in the am.

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

My kids are not sleepers

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Quoting SAMI_JO:

DS is 15 and sleeps 12 hours, due to seizure meds; and is still hard to get up in the am.

Oh my gosh, isn't there some better to use, he is missing out on a bunch.

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Quoting fammatthews4: What you are describing is extreme. I would definitely take her to the DR and have her checked out.

I agree with you, maybe a little depressed is my guess.

momtomy7kids
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

My oldest daughter is 14 as well. She sleeps about 8-10 hours usually, she doesn't really complain about being tired though so I figure she is getting enough sleep. I'd mention it to her doctor and see what the doctor says that might be able to ease some of your concern.

Michelle
EDD Blessing #9
6-19-2014 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)