Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do any of your teens have a

Posted by   + Show Post

problem when getting blood taken.

My son has a problem because his blood is so thick they have to use a syringe to draw his blood.

Today he had to have bloodwork and they got it the 1st time which never happens

clapping

by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

The tubes are the norm here

Quoting cybcm: Must be a different country thing, we always get the plain syringe. Only time I've seen a tube used is on my DH post surgery.

Quoting 02nana07:

You know how they normally put a tube in and can change tubes.  Not with him they use the type they give a shot with and pull back to suction the blood out because it won't fill the tubes it is to thick.

Quoting cybcm:

Don't they always use a syringe? I don't think I've ever seen blood taken differently.

NidanLady
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

My daughters don't have very prominent veins, so it's usually tough to find them to take blood.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

my oldest is scared shitless of needles just like me.... my youngest (8) has no issue and actually laughs his butt of when he's getting shots or having blood drawn.

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM

He has passes out once but the dr told me it was something they did while trying to get his blood. 

What do you do have them turn the other way until the bandage is on that is what I would do

Quoting mommyneedssleep: Mine passes out if she sees it happening or there is any trace Of blood when they are done

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM
That's what I have her do! We also make sure they have something to clean up any blood that got on her or anywhere around her lol!!!!

Quoting 02nana07:

He has passes out once but the dr told me it was something they did while trying to get his blood. 

What do you do have them turn the other way until the bandage is on that is what I would do

Quoting mommyneedssleep: Mine passes out if she sees it happening or there is any trace Of blood when they are done

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Ok?

No reply would have been better. Just 'ok' comes off rude. Maybe it's just me but it sounds like something the kids say when they are trying to placate me.

Quoting 02nana07:

ok

Quoting luckysevenwow:

My DD get's faint and light headed, but that's it, it's pretty funny actually :)

AllyB_
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

my 14 year old is really good at having his blood drawn. He tells me he's used to needles because he spent time in the hospital when he was 11 (before I knew him) but he hates getting shots haha

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:40 AM

That isn't good my son has good veins thinking now I guess it would be worse if he didn't.

Quoting NidanLady:

My daughters don't have very prominent veins, so it's usually tough to find them to take blood.

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I have always been like your youngest and would ask if I could get a shot instead of meds because I hated to take meds but didn't mind a shot.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

my oldest is scared shitless of needles just like me.... my youngest (8) has no issue and actually laughs his butt of when he's getting shots or having blood drawn.

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I guess a profession in the medical field is out

I hope she outgrows it if she wants kids later or it could be a problem.

Quoting mommyneedssleep: That's what I have her do! We also make sure they have something to clean up any blood that got on her or anywhere around her lol!!!!

Quoting 02nana07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)