Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Friends in the most unexpected way.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

Do your children ever do something so small but yet so wonderful that you are the proudest parent? My DD is a sophomore in high school. She is a great kid and does well in her classes. She is in sports and band. She is not "popular" but has a lot of good friends. I just found out that since the beginning of the year her group of friends have been inviting a few special needs kids in her school to join them at lunch. She said they are really cool but other kids have kicked them out of their table at lunch because they do at times not eat the "right" way or what not. Last night she came to me and told me she needed some help. One of the girls sent her a friend request on facebook. My daughter is very cautious of who she friends and does not just friend anyone. She can't stand facebook drama. We talked long about this young lady and I left it up to her to make the right decision for her. So tonight she came to me and cried saying that she had decided to friend this girl and today in school she came up to my DD and would not stop thanking her for being her facebook friend. My DD felt bad that she would even question her friend request and did not understand why she would not stop thanking her when my DD said she was the one that should be thankful to have made such a great friend. I guess I have done something right in raising her.

by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

So sweet!

My son is special needs, and I have to say most of the school was really good to him. We did have a few instances of some pretty bad stuff, but the school stepped up and so did the other students. It's a great feeling as the mom of a SN child to know that there are kids out there like your DD.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this

One of my 17yr old's friends has downs syndrome, she's in a tough position because she's very high functioning, but people look at her and they see the typical physical characterists and treat her like a small child, she's a very outspoken young lady, which I love about her, she is known for saying to people "If you don't mind, I am 18, not 4, please speak to me how you would any other 18yr old". Anyway, my point was, it's sad how many people comepletely write her off because she is such a wonderful person, so it is really wonderful when people can put assumptions aside and actually get to know the person.

Along the same lines, my best friend has cerebal palsy and it's really weird how many times someone has said to me "That's so good of you to include her". Err... yes she may be in a wheelchair and have slurred speech, but she's a member of mensa and is a scientist and I was scratching my knee with my teeth just to see if it was possible about an hour ago so if you ask me, it's really good of her to include me in her life.

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Having 6 kids oh yeah but good and bad things...over the years I have had many smiles and frowns from them.

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Mine have many times and your daughter should be proud she did a good thing

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

How wonderful!   Not only did your DD make others feel special, but she learned a great life lesson. 

My sons have always had a soft spot for special needs kids.   They both have always defended the underdog, so to speak.  It makes me very proud.

One of my sons has Aspergers.  He is very high functioning and low key about it.  By high school, only those who knew him since grade school knew of his struggles.      One day, he was sitting with some friends in the school courtyard when a student with special needs was nearby.  My sons friends made some comments about the boy and my son informed them that the kid was autistic, which explained his behavior, what was the reason they were being idiotic?    His friends were taken a back and asked how he knew the kid was autistic.   He told them it takes one to know one.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM

That is so sweet. You definitely should be proud of her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN