Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My Son Won't do anything except Video Games!

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

During the holiday break I let my boys on the video game as much as they wanted because it was thier Vacation. I only let them play an hour a day on school  days and Limit time on Weekends When i can ( I am a weekend working mom so i can't always control. However my son really has no other motivation or interest except playing Video games. I'm trying to find Different Creative Activities that Teenage Boys can do,but it seems as though technology Rules my house. Any suggestions on Activities Teenage boys and a Tween boy would want to do besides gaming? preferably with me So I can spend time with them?

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Geocaching! It is like treasure hunting, and other than the cost of gas, it is inexpensive!

Maye since yo uare gone a lot on weekends, they would be interested in Boy Scouts. That way one weekend a month they are out doing guy things in a fun and supervised environment.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Bring them to work with you, the video games.
Go out to eat or go on an outing when them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting atlmom2:
Go out to eat or go on an outing when them.

In terms of doing stuff together, I especially agree with this. We have found our son opens up more when we're in a relaxed, neutral setting outside of the home---from baseball games to just getting coffee at Starbucks and staying there for 30 to 60 minutes. My husband still takes our son to the bus in the morning because he found that's when they have their daily one-on-one time. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

What interest does he have besides video games?

My son is in a sport year round. Since he's an only child, he's pretty eager to be involved in some kind of social activity regularly.

My son also does scouting when he had time to. I agree with Jinx that it provides positive social outings with minimal supervision/involvement from their parents if they don't have the time.

We aren't church goers, but many people in our area are. There are some great teen youth services in the churches around here. They usually have minimal parent time commitments too.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Make a fire, roast marshmallows and watch a movie or play a board game!    Do your sons enjoy cooking or baking?     Crafts?  They can make homemade Christmas gifts!!    How about photography?   They can take pictures of things that interest them... outdoors, and use the computer to edit and have fun with the pictures.     

YogaPiscesMama
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Sports, learning a musical instrument, painting, cooking, walking-- you can do all these things together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN