Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Books ,Books ,Books ...Help what to do ?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 31 Replies

I love books, love to read .Some people have fur babies you might say I have page babies ; )

All my family loves to read but I have many more books than anyone else here...

Hello ,my name is Emily I am a book addict...

I HAVE to ge rid of some HAVE to ,they are taking over my house but what to do ?I can't bear to just toss them away in the paper recycle place.I have taken them to a place called Half Price Book store ,for a large tub full I might get 10 dollars but I bring home different books from the store : (   So that is out because it feeds my addiction.Our libraries ,at least in my end of town discourages books being dropped off.

Any ideas....

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momintraining02
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Hastings takes some books and gives you an in store credit.........

Find a local book store that might take them....

Goodwill.......

Donate to Nursing Homes and Hospitals.......

HeatherMarieT88
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Yes I agree with momintraining02 on the donating to nursing homes and hospitals.
Maverick1957
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

GOODWILL or a homeless shelter?

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I agree with the above.

There are online sites that you can trade books on. I used to belong to Swaptree.com but they've changed their site so I'm not on as much as I used to be. Paperbackswap.com in another site but I've never used it.

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Depending on the type of books maybe the school would take them and give them to students who like yourself like to read but can't afford to buy books.

Another idea would be a nursing home I know a woman who recently passed and until the day she died could read several books a day and tell you about them.  Her mind was still sharp the rest of her body didn't work so reading was her only enjoyment.  She couldn't afford to buy all the books she wanted but passed the ones she read on to friends and family so that helped.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I say check with hospitals, nursing homes, etc.  With us moving in the next few months I need to go through my books and purge as well.  Hubby bought me a Kindle a few years ago and it really has cut down on the amount of books I have in the house which was his main reason for buying it. :)

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Yes!   Donate some to your local hospital!!!     That is what I have been doing for the past few years.   Volunteers take a cart full of books and magazines around to all the rooms for the patients to choose from ..and the patients can keep the materials.      

chcon
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM
If you have lots of kids books perhaps a local daycare or as others said hospitals.
drfink
by Emily on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Quoting fammatthews4:

I say check with hospitals, nursing homes, etc.  With us moving in the next few months I need to go through my books and purge as well.  Hubby bought me a Kindle a few years ago and it really has cut down on the amount of books I have in the house which was his main reason for buying it. :)

Mine too...lol.Well also because I LOVE the NY Times...it was up to 40 a MONTH for just Sat and Sun but by the Nook under 20 a month for 7 days a week .So it made sense and the hopes I would start downloading more books .I have but I still LOVE  a book in my hand.

Thorlin
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM

If there is a USO near you check there too because sometimes soldiers are looking for books to pass time while waiting or tranferring to locations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN