Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Books ,Books ,Books ...Help what to do ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I love books, love to read .Some people have fur babies you might say I have page babies ; )

All my family loves to read but I have many more books than anyone else here...

Hello ,my name is Emily I am a book addict...

I HAVE to ge rid of some HAVE to ,they are taking over my house but what to do ?I can't bear to just toss them away in the paper recycle place.I have taken them to a place called Half Price Book store ,for a large tub full I might get 10 dollars but I bring home different books from the store : (   So that is out because it feeds my addiction.Our libraries ,at least in my end of town discourages books being dropped off.

Any ideas....

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
drfink
by Emily on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Yes!   Donate some to your local hospital!!!     That is what I have been doing for the past few years.   Volunteers take a cart full of books and magazines around to all the rooms for the patients to choose from ..and the patients can keep the materials.      

Great idea. I volunteer at our county hospital but in the teen health clinic or the maternity ward.They are in and out of there in a blink so they are asleep or with their babies.I never hit the other floors but will take some ...a lot ...there.I will ask where.Thanks.

LOL I may scatter my 100's of extra books around to many suggestions.

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Love this .I will look it up.When my son was deployed I would send books new and used.Some I thought he would like others not so much.He had said not to worry all books were read by someone.I was happy he left them behind at his FOB.

Quoting Thorlin:

If there is a USO near you check there too because sometimes soldiers are looking for books to pass time while waiting or tranferring to locations.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Check this out: http://www.operationpaperback.org

From their homepage:

Operation Paperback is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of Pennsylvania that collects gently used books nationwide and sends them to American troops overseas, as well as veterans and military families here at home. Since 1999, we have shipped over 1.9 million books to locations around the globe.

Our service members and their families make sacrifices every day for our country. It takes so little to let them know that they are appreciated. When you donate to Operation Paperback, you will let America’s military know that you appreciate their service and their sacrifices.

suesues
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:55 AM

call schools  nursing homes hospitals 

AuntieV
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

When my mom was having dialysis I took a lot of books to the dialysis center. Treatments can take a long time (3-4 hours). They had a bookcase in their waiting room for people to leave books or choose a book from. Also the VA hospitals and nursing homes are good places to check if you are wanting to donate them.

lilhandswonder0
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Public libraries aways accepts books. The other places that thees ladies are mentioning are also great ideas. Or you can even sell them on Amazon. I've bought books from them before that come from people that no longer needed them. It's great!
Pnukey
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Goodwill also takes books as donations.

Lucky for me, our library took all my books - boxes and boxes of books. DH got me a Nook a few years back and now I use my tablet. I still get real books from the library, but haven't bought a (non-digital) book in years.

Belovedmoonpixi
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

donate them to shelters, hospitals or community centers.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM
I use paperbackswap.com and love it!

It is really simple. You post books you wamt to trade. When someone orders it, you pay the book rate shipping (less than $3).

When you list 10 books, you get two credits. When you ship a book, you get one credit to order a book of your choice. The more you send, the more you order :)

They also hqve a waitlist, so it.will automatically send if something you want.comes available.
pandabear61
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Have you had a friend take the books to the half price book store.  You aren't entering it so you cannot buy more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)