Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Books ,Books ,Books ...Help what to do ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I love books, love to read .Some people have fur babies you might say I have page babies ; )

All my family loves to read but I have many more books than anyone else here...

Hello ,my name is Emily I am a book addict...

I HAVE to ge rid of some HAVE to ,they are taking over my house but what to do ?I can't bear to just toss them away in the paper recycle place.I have taken them to a place called Half Price Book store ,for a large tub full I might get 10 dollars but I bring home different books from the store : (   So that is out because it feeds my addiction.Our libraries ,at least in my end of town discourages books being dropped off.

Any ideas....

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

senior citizen housing, many churches would want them for their yearly rumage sale. There are big gray bins you can donate themto. They are like the drop off for old clothes and such. I bet you could drop them off at salvation army2nd hand stores. Also your town might have a Facebook yard sale. Mine does and I do see people offer free books.

tyfry7496
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I'll take some!!

Hi I'm Janet and a book addict too!!!

I gives books to friends. Leave them at the doctors office when I'm finished. Donate to the library, hospital, nursing homes. Sell in a rummage. (Paperbacks $1. Hardcover atleast $3-5). I have sold a lot.
drfink
by Emily on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are very cool.LOL they also feed the addiction hahaha but love them .

Quoting mumsy2three:

I agree with the above.

There are online sites that you can trade books on. I used to belong to Swaptree.com but they've changed their site so I'm not on as much as I used to be. Paperbackswap.com in another site but I've never used it.

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Quoting tyfry7496: I'll take some!!

Hi I'm Janet and a book addict too!!!

I gives books to friends. Leave them at the doctors office when I'm finished. Donate to the library, hospital, nursing homes. Sell in a rummage. (Paperbacks $1. Hardcover atleast $3-5). I have sold a lot.

recently I will "lend " a book to someone with one rule ...it may NOT be returned.Yesterday I had to wait at the car place my car.There were old magazines.I was thinking of putting small bags in my trunk.When I go someplace like that just leave them.Maybe write on the paperback's cover TAKE FREE BOOK.. 

I think everyone reads around here .We are allowed a garage sale a year per HOA ,everyone has books and they never sell.People seem to come into our neighborhood for clothes and toys ,those are the big sellers here.....unless I show up then my addiction kicks in lol   ; )

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

senior citizen housing, many churches would want them for their yearly rumage sale. There are big gray bins you can donate themto. They are like the drop off for old clothes and such. I bet you could drop them off at salvation army2nd hand stores. Also your town might have a Facebook yard sale. Mine does and I do see people offer free books.

I have never heard of a FB yard sale.I am going to look them up.Free is great ,I just have to resolve not to buy any.HAHAHAHAHAHA

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Check this out: http://www.operationpaperback.org

From their homepage:

Operation Paperback is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of Pennsylvania that collects gently used books nationwide and sends them to American troops overseas, as well as veterans and military families here at home. Since 1999, we have shipped over 1.9 million books to locations around the globe.

Our service members and their families make sacrifices every day for our country. It takes so little to let them know that they are appreciated. When you donate to Operation Paperback, you will let America’s military know that you appreciate their service and their sacrifices.

Very nice.I looked it up.It would drive me crazy sorting the type but my husband and 17 yr old have very categorical ...is that even a word ...minds.They said they would help me ,they like that kind of stuff.Plus we have a huge soft spot for military.We can't possibly do it for all pour books ,it would take for ever.They have been scanning and grabbing and putting some in tubs they think will be popular.When we get a couple of tubs I am registering.

Thank you.

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Quoting AuntieV:

When my mom was having dialysis I took a lot of books to the dialysis center. Treatments can take a long time (3-4 hours). They had a bookcase in their waiting room for people to leave books or choose a book from. Also the VA hospitals and nursing homes are good places to check if you are wanting to donate them.

Thank you ,it is happening.

I am doing this today.My mom and a close friend had to have repetitive infusions in the past couple of years.The place closest to us also has a dialysis area..I called and they said they would love some books.I am taking a tub when my teen boys get home.It is very heavy so that is what they are for.... ; )

Thanks for the idea.

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Quoting pandabear61:

Have you had a friend take the books to the half price book store.  You aren't entering it so you cannot buy more.

I LOVE this idea.I will definitely use it !

AuntieV
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM

There is also a place called  Book Crossing. Kool idea of just leaving a book for someone to find and read. You can register the book and follow it around. bookcrossing.com

Kristen1010
by Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I'm a book addict too!

Books were practically taking over my house. I use www.paperbackswap.com. I currently have over 50 credits to use. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN