Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Have Goood Intuition About People?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 5 Replies

Missing Oregon Teen Rescued After Abduction By Homeless Family Friend

by Adriana Velez

kelsey mccuneGood news for the family of one Oregon teenager who went missing last Tuesday. A 13-year-old missing Oregon teen has been found, and she was with 40-year-old Kelsey McCune, just as investigators suspected. Clackamas County Sherrif's Office says the teen was found in "good" condition in a wooded area near a mobile home park outside Oregon City. McCune was arrested.

The warrant for McCune's arrest was originally for second-degree kidnapping. But it looks like he did worse than that, unfortunately. McCune is also being charged with rape and sodomy. I'm glad the teen is out of his clutches and that she's alive. But I'm so sorry to hear that her time with McCune was so horrific, according to the charges. Thank goodness for a concerned neighbor.

A witness spotted McCune and the missing teen at Village Mobile Home Park, recognizing them from the flyer, and tipped off police. I think a lot of people might have second-guessed themselves in a similar situation. But this person trusted what they saw and made that important call -- and saved a young teen from what appears to have been a horrific situation.

It turns out that Dodson had injuries, but they're not life-threatening.

And to think McCune was supposedly a friend of the girl's father -- and attended their Thanksgiving dinner! In retrospect it seems odd that the girl's father didn't get the kind of creepy vibe you'd think a potential rapist would give off. But maybe he just seemed like an ordinary, if needy, man. Maybe the signs aren't always as obvious as you'd think they'd be. Her parents must be tremendously glad to have their daughter back -- but I don't envy the pangs of anguish they may be feeling over having once welcomed McCune into their home.

Do you feel like you have a good intuition about people, or do you think you would have been friendly with someone like McCune until they proved you wrong?

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilhandswonder0
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I try not to be judge mental and give people the benefit if a doubt. But I think I get a vibe, gut feeling when there's something wrong with that person and no one has to say anything about it. It's hard trusting people sometimes. Specially when it comes to my kids. You just never know...
LectioDivina
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I don't even let people know where we live. My Dh only has two friends that know our address.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I have pretty good intuition about people; it kind of freaks out my DH!  But even with that, we are both extremely careful about who we allow into our home. Really only trusted relatives, friends and a couple of neighbors we know well.  As guilty as I feel about thinking this way, I probably wouldn't allow a homeless person to come to my house, mainly because I know the incidence of mental illness among the homeless is extremely high.  I will go to any length necessary to ensure my children's safety, even if it's not 'PC.'

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Unfortunately I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until I am proven wrong. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN