Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teens Dressed as Superheroes Perform Random Acts of Kindness

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

Teens Dressed as Superheroes Perform Random Acts of Kindness (VIDEO)

by Jenny Erikson

Faith in humanity restored. When teenagers can break the bratty teen stereotype and don tights and superhero capes and go out into the community to commit random acts of kindness, I get the feeling that the human race is going to be A-ok.

High school juniors Zade Abdullah and Kyle Nutt did just that. "My parents always wanted me to do good and 16-year-olds are stereotyped for being rotten kids," Abdullah told HLN. "We wanted to show people that all 16-year-olds are not like that. We can be good and do good in the community and make the world a better place."

The Dixon, Illinois teens worked with another 16-year-old friend for a week, filming various acts of kindness from paying for someone’s drive-thru purchase to handing out poinsettias at a nursing home.

More from The Stir: 6 Ways the Whole Family Can Volunteer Besides the Soup Kitchen

They were nervous about how they’d be perceived, but ultimately loved spreading good cheer and joy to others. After a week of do-gooding, they spent 10 hours straight editing the footage into a video to share with the world that anyone can be a hero, simply by spreading small acts of kindness.

"My mom always talked to me about being a good person and talked to me about stuff like this. I don't think she really thought I listened to everything she said but I do," Nutt told HLN.

"There were a couple of people who looked at us awkwardly, like, 'What are you doing?'. There were a couple of people not understanding the meaning behind it. After seeing the video, people understand," said Abdullah.

"Kids our age think that doing a good act in public is embarrassing. It's not embarrassing. If we can do it in Spandex and tights, anyone can do it," Nutt said.

Awesome, inspiring kids.

Take a couple of minutes to watch the video. You won't regret it.

Does this encourage you to pay a random act of kindness forward?

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I think it would.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Great video! LOL at the cops getting doughnuts :)

I try to do something kind every day, even if it's just holding a door, letting some one go in front of me in line/while driving, taking a shopping cart back to the store for some one else, etc. it only takes a minute to be nice. 

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I try to whenever possible

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)