Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should This School Name Be Changed?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 13 Replies

School Named for KKK Grand Wizard Gets Much-Needed New Name

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Forrest High SchoolNathan B. Forrest High School in Jacksonville, Florida will change its name after more than 160,000 people signed an online petition. The Duval County Public School Board has unanimously voted to strip the early Ku Klux Klan leader’s name from the Florida school.

It was a pretty intense debate and was initially rejected as a proposal by the school board. It was the petition that changed all that. It's unclear what the new name will be.

In many ways, this is really the way the Internet is awesome. Locally they would have kept it, but Change.org shifted that. We are a global community, which, in cases like this or in Steubenville, is a good thing. If the local community is myopic and small-minded, then things can still change.

On the other hand, how many school have questionable names?

This school is largely African American and Forrest's history is dubious, indeed. He was a slave trader, and historical reports and some say he gave the order to kill 300 captured black Union soldiers. He was also an honorary member of the KKK. None of these are good things, and honestly, I wouldn't want to go to a school bearing his name, either.

But let's also be honest. There are many, many people we revere in our historical textbooks and name schools and buildings and streets for who have questionable histories.

What about Christopher Columbus, who, by all accounts, was a greed-motivated, Native American killer who didn't respect anyone's beliefs but his own. He is the LAST person we should have an entire day named for. But we do. We also have streets and buildings and entire TOWNS named for him.

What about Thomas Jefferson? He is also very questionable and many reports say he was a horrible racist who owned slaves and wasn't nearly the hero we purport him to be.

In all fairness, I support the changing of this school's name. I would have signed the petition and think it was the right thing to do. But there is a lot of change that needs to happen if we are going to start down this path and a whole lot of names that have to be changed as well if we are going to erase hate from our past. 

Do you think the name should have been changed here?

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I do think so, I am not a pr person, but that is just poor taste.

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Not if the town was fine with it people that don't live there shouldn't care it is none of their business

diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Yes it should.
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it should.

In those other two cases cited, they had accomplishments besides being a racist. This school is named after someone that's biggest accomplishment is based on racism. That's a different circumstance.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Quoting Barabell:

Yes, it should.

In those other two cases cited, they had accomplishments besides being a racist. This school is named after someone that's biggest accomplishment is based on racism. That's a different circumstance.

Good Point!    I agree.

PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 6:58 AM

It is just a name that means nothing more than a school's name....some people just put to much into everything.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM

What ppl fail to realize is how much money its going to cost to actually change the name.  It is not as simple as saying oh lets just change the name.  They have to change things such as the front of the school, paperwork lots of it,  the gym floor, sporting equipment.  athletic field.  My best friend graduated from the school, still lives in the area with high school aged children.  Im pretty sure she said the cost is going to be something like  $400,000 to  $500,000.   This price tag comes to a district that is already struggling to educate their students.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM
There is a school in my district that has changed the name three times in the past 20 years. I don't think the price is that much, I don't think our district would spend that much money every time the name was changed.

Quoting Msgme:

What ppl fail to realize is how much money its going to cost to actually change the name.  It is not as simple as saying oh lets just change the name.  They have to change things such as the front of the school, paperwork lots of it,  the gym floor, sporting equipment.  athletic field.  My best friend graduated from the school, still lives in the area with high school aged children.  Im pretty sure she said the cost is going to be something like  $400,000 to  $500,000.   This price tag comes to a district that is already struggling to educate their students.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM

this is a link to one of the stories i found that  mentions the price tag.   including a  video from the news. $400,000 which will be offset by some  donations but thats alot of money.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/17/florida-high-school-finally-drops-name-honoring-kkk-founder-nathan-bedford-forrest/

Quoting diaperstodating: There is a school in my district that has changed the name three times in the past 20 years. I don't think the price is that much, I don't think our district would spend that much money every time the name was changed.

Quoting Msgme:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Really..wjo cares? I bet, until this story.came out, the majority of people had no clue who he even was.

As PP mentioned, that is a huge waste of money.

ETA: It is also a valuable.part of history. The things he did were the norm back then. I am not saying it was right but it is a good way to bring up the topic and discuss how things have changed for the better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)