Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Doesnt do anything but sleep when she gets home from school......

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 21 Replies

I dont even know where to begin.....

We moved from Ga. to Va. the summer before 8th grade.  She started 9th this year. She's made "fast friends"  The ones who's parents dont really care about what their kids do and just let them do whatever.  

Her dad lives in Ga. and when we moved to Va. he almost completely cut contact.  He makes her feel bad about moving to Va. with me and not staying in Ga. with him.  

She's always been in gifted classes and then AP classes till this year.  She has no motivation in school.  Just coasts by with minimal effort.  She could do so much more!  

She has a boyfriend that she is completely focused on at all times!!  He is 16  and she is just about to turn 15 next week.  He just got kicked out of his house and was forced to go live with his mom.  So he's not in the same school anymore and since I dont let her "date" and we dont allow boys over  to the house they dont see each other at all now.  I most certainly do NOT approve of this relationship.  Oh yea, he already has a suspended license.  Im trying to talk to her and wake her up to realize he is not on the right path at all and why the hell does she want this??? 

But my issue at this moment is how much she wants to sleep!!!  All she does when she comes home from school is sleep! .... till its time to eat dinner then eats, takes a shower and goes back to her room.  She complains of headaches all the time.  I took her to the dr.  they gave her an antibiotic for a sinus infection and said if the headaches arent better in 2 weeks to go see a neurologist for migraines.  

There is very minimal family interaction.  She has a baby brother and a 4 year old sister.  I have to take her phone away and make her interact with the family in the evenings.  She lives and breathes by that damn phone!!!!!  

Im just frustrated.  I am so worried about her and dont really know what to do.  

How much does your teen sleep? 

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cege
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Hi, my teens sleep in on the weekends but never nap during the school week. Have you considered taking your daughter to a therapist? Wanting to sleep a lot plus a loss of interest in her grades could be signs that she's depressed. It sounds like there could be issues regarding not having much contact with her father.
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Yep, sounds depressed. If this is the case, there isn't anything you can do, she'll need more assistance then you can offer. Time to have another talk with the doctor.

proudmother5946
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
She sounds depressed. Talk to her doctor and get her evaluated for depression. Then get her with a counselor. She might just need talk therapy, but possibly might need medication also.
My daughter is doing talk therapy right now, once a week. It seems to be helping. Also try to get her involved in an activity she enjoys.
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
What time is she in bed?? Mine went to sleep at 9 or 9:30 at the latest in middle and hs.
Is she depressed???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Do you let her have the phone/computer in her room at night?  She might be staying up until the wee hours texting/chatting.  I take my kids' phones at bedtime and charge them downstairs so they can have uninterrupted sleep.  If this is not the problem then I agree with the other posters--have her evaluated for depression.  Hope you figure it out soon!

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I did too.  No access to phones or computers after 9pm on school nights. 

Quoting Niccalyn:

Do you let her have the phone/computer in her room at night?  She might be staying up until the wee hours texting/chatting.  I take my kids' phones at bedtime and charge them downstairs so they can have uninterrupted sleep.  If this is not the problem then I agree with the other posters--have her evaluated for depression.  Hope you figure it out soon!

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

lilmomma625
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:04 PM

We used to take the phone at night but this year we have been letting her have it.  I did try to take it about 2 months ago and she struggled to wake up and get ready on time....every.  single.  day.   She has 5 alarms set to wake her up! Yes, I know this sounds ridiculous.  She is on an account with her dad and I asked him to please check the usage on her phone and let me know if there is anything after 10pm (the beditme).  I told her if I find out she's on it after 10 it will be taken at night.  He isnt checking! 

I do agree with the possibility of depression.  She has been though a lot in her 14 years and has shown symptoms of anxiety also.  I'll definately be thinking about this.  

Thanks ladies!! :) 

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I did all that you describe her doing when I was a teen. Sounds to me like she is depressed. I know when I did that I was depressed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

It sounds like she may be depressed.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I went through a similar thing, minus the "fast" friends and boyfriend. We moved halfway through 8th gr, and I spent a lot of afternoons napping in 9th and 10 gr. Looking back, I can see now that I was depressed. I was lucky and eventually got out of it on my own. I'd suggest asking her dr about depression and for a referral for a therapist to help her cope w/ the move and the lack of contact w/ her dad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)