Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

At what age do you stop buying gifts for them to give others?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

This year I am not buying gifts for my kids to give "Dad".

I always bought them something each to gift him for birthdays, Christmas and fathers day. They all have a bit of money each now and believe they can afford to take over this. Sadly...I am not sure if they will make the effort. It sort of saddens me...than again we might be surprised.

So just curious...at what age if at all did you stop buying gifts for them to give other people in the family?

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drfink
by Emily on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Hmmmm ,in college kinda.They had allowances and summer job money and on their own started buying gifts for us and siblings.It was their idea.I still put all our names on presents to each other that I buy.Once they are out of college they buy their own gifts.LOL Years ago I told my oldest when he asked my mom's favorite summer spring perfume for Mothers Day.He got it ,then at Christmas he asked for her fave fall winter perfume.She wears two different a bit expensive scents according to the season.LOL...she will never want for perfume again.She discovered ordering books of Amazon a few years ago so now he has her covered for her bday..So he gets her her gifts and has since graduation...a bit one tracked but he remembers.

My daughter is a senior in college and my teens are still at home.I give them a gift allowance and they pick for parents ,siblings and grandmother.My grandmother started the gift allowance with my sis and I as younger kids.She gave us free rein on the gifts we chose we just had to use our budget....I remember being fascinated by a lipstick that had a color on each side and when used together was a third color...oh my lucky mom ,grandmothers and aunt LOL

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
We only did when they were young and had a Holiday shop at school. Otherwise our girls did not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

My dd was working at 16. She took over buying gifts for others when she started getting her own paychecks :)

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:57 AM
I still do for my kids. They are 20 and 16 but both in school full time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GMMC
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Oh man...now I am second guessing my "new" idea! Yes, my 3 youngest are still in school but make their own money where my oldest is working full time.

I have to stick to my guns no matter what and let it be now. It will be interesting or really sad to see how it plays out on Christmas morning only because I thought we taught how to be thoughtful people.

What is done is now done but so far everyone's replies certainly gave us something to ponder on.

Thank you,

Quoting bizzeemom2717: I still do for my kids. They are 20 and 16 but both in school full time

Momsalawyer
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I think you're doing just fine.  Ours have always (well, since really little) been given a gift allowance to buy for their three siblings mom and dad.  Sometimes dad helped with ideas for mom or mom with ideas for dad....we have gotten some very interesting gifts!   A couple of years they didn't get it done and ran around wrapping up their own possessions they felt so bad.  Now, the full time worker bee who graduated from college last year doesn't get an allowance for the gifts and 18 and 17 have their own money.  13 will still be hitting me up for the gift money but picking out the gifts himself.  They have loved the sibling gifts over the years, no matter how weird and dad and I are not at all concerned about what we get.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I still do for my kids but when they have a job and are earning their own money I'll stop.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Dec. 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM
You always have to do what's best for YOUR family. Hugs

Quoting GMMC:

Oh man...now I am second guessing my "new" idea! Yes, my 3 youngest are still in school but make their own money where my oldest is working full time.

I have to stick to my guns no matter what and let it be now. It will be interesting or really sad to see how it plays out on Christmas morning only because I thought we taught how to be thoughtful people.

What is done is now done but so far everyone's replies certainly gave us something to ponder on.

Thank you,

Quoting bizzeemom2717: I still do for my kids. They are 20 and 16 but both in school full time

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bertieb
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

My DD is 16 and I just bought her a video game to give her BF of like two month! I know that is a little much, but he has fed her numerous times saving me a bunch of money! Last year DH's ex told his 18yo son she wanted an $80 Swiffer for Christmas so we bought that, but I'm not real crazy about buying the ex something that pricey,especially since she didn't give their son any money to buy dad something.

squeekers
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

under 12-14 yrs old, I assist in their shopping. however as a freshman in high school, I'll give her money & drive her to the store, but it's up to that child to purchase gives for exchanging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)