Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

14 yr old acting out and not sure what to do. Needing advice

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:20 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

my 14 yr old daughter is acting out and I am not sure what else to do. She hates the person I am dating even though my other children like him just fine. He has bent over backwards to be nice to her. He hasn't tried to act like a dad to her. All he has done is try to be a friend. Tonight she threw something at him and got up in my 16 yr old daughter's face. Take in mind that my 16 yr old is quiet and isn't the violent type but tonight she almost hit the 14 yr old when the 14 yr old hit her. my 16 yr old was in tears from being so angry with her. I grounded her (the 14 r old) and took her ipod etc away and I have done this before but just not sure what else to do. No bashing please. Just looking for honest advice.

by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tlcmommi4
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never had any of my kids act violently towards me or another family memeber, but my sister has a 16 year old daughter that has been acting that way for a couple of years.  I dont have any real advice to give except ask have you brought her to a counselor?  My niece has been going to one for a couple years and it hasnt helped, but every child is different and it couldnt really hurt, right?   I know this is hard, my sister is suffering physically because of this.  She is starting to have medical problems due to the prolonged stress of her daughter's constant bad behavior.  I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this quickly and straighten her out.   hugs.  

Kellymomof6
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM

bump

gonecrazi
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Sounds like you did the right thing..

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Something is definitely bothering her, I'd get her into counseling so she has a neutral party to help her work through it.

starlite204
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

ive been through the same thing, one day my 14 yr old almost slamed the door in my face i was so mad, i looked him in the face, and told him,there is no reason to act that way towards me, i have always been there for you and just told him  the way i felt, and made him realize that anger, only pushes us apart, that he had a choice to respect me me because i will always be there, when no one else will, and to love me because you wont always have me around forever, it worked for me, he was a moody 14 yr old, but now he has changed for the better i love it.

DanSue99
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I will admit I was emotionaly disturbed as child and teenager,  hormones were really messed up and due to being born without a thyroid, a lot of depression that goes with that.     teenage years are difficult especially when dealing with them going through puberty(hormones)   

I would take time out for just you and her to talk and spend some time to find out what is going on with her, listen to everything she says,  maybe her hormones are just out of control and her brain can't control it, I hope that makes sense,   she could also have a legit reason why she doesn't like the person you are seeing.  I hope everything works out and I am sure it will, teen years are difficult, remember we were there once...lol. Good Luck and Merry Chritmas!

SAMI_JO
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:06 AM

It sounds like she is afraid that your new "friend" is going to take up all your time, and you won't have as much time for her. Just reassure her that no one could ever take her place and that you have enough love for everyone. Maybe try to include her on one of your dates. js

dawncs
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

My parents seperated when I was ten years old and divorced subsequently. Only my father has remarried. Have you really talked to her why she hates your boyfriend right now? Some teens and children hate the idea that their father is being replaced by another man in some cases. You can almost take away her entire room, and nothing will change in her mind. I really recommend talking to her and see why she feels the way she does before deciding what to do next.

woodswalker
by Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Counseling.   Ask your pediatrician to recommend  a good therapist for her.  

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Sorry you are dealing with something like this!

I was told, sometimes a little extra time spend all alone with the trouble child, can do wonders!

Best of luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)