Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: A Brand new bottle of vodka disappears from our home...

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 18 Replies

A.Brand new bottle of vodka disappears from our home after a weekend which both of my teen boys have friends over Shockingly, Neither one of my boys knows anything about it! What would be a fair consequence to hand out? We always tell our boys that they're responsible for friends when over our home. We want to be fair incase the younger son truly has no idea where it went or vice verse, but we also can't let it go without some sort of consequence. My husband and I are on the complete opposite side when it comes to punishment 

PLEASE HELP 

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM
That is a hard one. I would talk to my kids and their friends. Kids can't watch every minute. Sometimes they are alone a minute here and their to be fair to your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamasnap
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We've talked to our kids and their friends and naturally no one has fessed up to it. It is such a hard situation because while we want to teach them that it's not okay to take something that is not theirs escpecially not alchohol we also want to be fair to our boys on the odd chance that perhaps one of their friends stole the bottle and neither one of our sons knew about it...  Oh the JOYS of having teenagers!

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Have to say I am glad ours are 22 and going to be 20 next month. Still issues at times though, lol.

Quoting Mamasnap:

We've talked to our kids and their friends and naturally no one has fessed up to it. It is such a hard situation because while we want to teach them that it's not okay to take something that is not theirs escpecially not alchohol we also want to be fair to our boys on the odd chance that perhaps one of their friends stole the bottle and neither one of our sons knew about it...  Oh the JOYS of having teenagers!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Sadly, I don't think there is any way to get to the real truth at this point.  But, I would tell your sons and their friends that from now on, that their friends will be checked before leaving your house from now on.  I would make the rule that there are to be NO friends over if you aren't home, as well.

woodswalker
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Hmmmm....I would maybe tell them they are not allowed to go out with friends or have any over over christmas vacation.   That includes New Years Eve.   And tell them you're concerned because if the kid who took the vodka were to drink and drive or do something else dumb it could fall back on your family because that's where the vodka came from.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Logical consequence: If you can't trust that things like this won't happen when they have friends over, neither one can have friends over at least until you know what happened.
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Well,  without evidence, I would not be comfortable accusing anyone,  I would have a family meeting and explain that you are very disappointed that you will now have to lock up all alcohol and supervise more dilligently which may result in them not having friends over as frequently. 

02nana07
by Ida on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell them from now on an adult has to supervise when they have friends over since they can't be trusted.  The only way this will be lifted is if whoever took it confesses. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I like this answer....

I would also be keeping all alcohol in a locked area. I micght even makeit the every day pantry and lock that so that if you aren't hime, they just can't raid th e pantry/alcohol storage area. that limits their access too goodies as part of the consequnces.

Quoting 02nana07:

Tell them from now on an adult has to supervise when they have friends over since they can't be trusted.  The only way this will be lifted is if whoever took it confesses. 

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

dawncs
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:19 AM

They could be hiding something from you. I grew up in a county were all the popular kids in high school were having parties somewhere in the county that only they knew where they were. There could be more going on with them and their friends. Has something changed radically? Have they brought home any new friends recently? Some teens from my personal experience are trying to fit in and alcohol is one of their choices to do so unfortunately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)