Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What Would You Do If You Thought Someone Was Sneaking Into Your House?

Posted by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 26 Replies

Teen Shot for Sneaking Back Into House in the Middle of the Night

by Jeanne Sager

crime sceneA Colorado teenager sneaking back into her own house in the middle of the night was shot and killed this week. To add to the tragic nature of an already sad case, police are now saying it was the teen's stepfather who shot her, thinking the 14-year-old was a burglar.

It's the sort of accident that punches you right in the gut as you grieve for a little girl whose life ended too soon and for a family torn apart by grief. It's the sort of accident that scares you because the moving parts, when put together, all add up to one that truly could happen to anyone.

After all when someone is coming into the house in the middle of the night, what conclusion do most of us jump to? Not that the your 14-year-old is sneaking back in but that someone dangerous is trying to get in at your family.

Reports indicate the teen was coming in a window, and a call went out to police of a burglary in progress between 5 and 6 a.m.

That early in the morning, there's a good chance, not all synapses are firing yet. We are particularly prone to making snap decisions as we work on pure adrenaline. The response most of us would have in a situation like this is to defend the family. Any way we can.

In Colorado, in fact, there is even a law designed to protect homeowners who defend their homes. The Make My Day law allows residents to fend off intruders with deadly force. The law is likely on this stepfather's side -- although the district attorney's office is reviewing the case and will have ultimate decision in whether charges are filed.

Whether or not they are, the fact remains that a 14-year-old is dead, and her stepfather will have to come to grips with the role he played in that death. This poor family has a lot to grieve right now, and pointing fingers isn't going to magically make that pain go away.

It's a tragedy ... and a tragedy we'd all be wise to ponder lest it happen in our own homes.

What would you do if you thought someone was sneaking into your home?

by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Considering we don't own a gun, this wouldn't happen.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM

My DH is military and is trained to kill. He wouldn't kill - but he would at least pin the intruder down until the police arrived. The other thing I learnt in a class I did once upon a time was that you scream "Fire" at the top of your lungs. "Fire! Please Help!" Neighbours will more likely ring/help out if they think it's a fire than a intruder/domestic situation

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM
This.

Quoting the3Rs: Considering we don't own a gun, this wouldn't
diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Quoting the3Rs: Considering we don't own a gun, this wouldn't
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM
We do have firearms, and I would have no problem using them.

However, oir first defense is the dog and she wouldn't alert if it was one of the kids.
sharon6345
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this

This is a perfect reason I would never want a gun. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM
3 moms liked this

this is horrible..... but it makes you wonder about a man who owns a gun and is willing to fire to kill with out any thought process or hessitation.  It is men like that who scare the HELL out of me.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM

We do own guns, but if we hear a noise.... Dh grabs the baseball bat he keeps by the bed.    I would call 911!  

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I am sure by 14, she knew that they had the protection of a gun. It is sad. If it was not a family member, our dog would be at him first, then dh with a gun to hold him till police came. Who knows what happened though, did he warn her to stop, did she identify herself?
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM

We have a VERY LOUD alarm system for just this type of thing. We'd set it off and leave the house.

My husband and I sleep in separate rooms because of his back issues (and because we both snore and keep each other up). Two nights ago I got up to use the bathroom, and HE got up thinking someone had broken into the house. I pointed out that burglars wouldn't bother to flush the toilet and told him to go back to bed. Lucky thing he didn't have a gun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)