Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Anybody have a teen with anxiety?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 19 Replies

Does anyone's teen suffer from anxiety and/or OCD issues? How do you deal with it? My dd is 14 and has a lot of anxiety. She has always had a lot of fears but it seems to be worse right now than when she was younger. We went to a psychiatrist and he put her on Prozac, but I'm not sure it's helping. He picked that drug bc I had used it for my anxiety and it seemed to help, but her anxiety seems different than what I have experienced. Not sure whether she should try something else or what.

We have also just started going to a psychologist. Only gone once so she hasn't completed her evaluation yet. I'm not always sure what to tell her. Sometimes my dd seems so normal but other times not so much. Anyway, I just want to hear from some other moms and hear your stories and hear what has helped your child. Thanks!

by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM
22 yo with mild ocd and anxiety. No meds. She took vitamin B's for a while when she really felt like the anxiety bothered her. Since she and her ex broke up and are not living together she is very happy with no issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

My dd was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when she was a teen. Her symptoms were always the worst when she was stressed out about something, usually school related. Since she has graduated from high school she seems to be much better. She was very anxious about starting college, local~ she commutes, but once she got used to the campus and classes she was fine. She never used meds for the anxiety just yoga and  deep breathing.

momto2inflorida
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM

My kids don't have anxiety but I do I was put on Prozac for anxiety but it is a very energizing drug and can make your anxiety worse than usual. Then I switched to Lexapro and that has helped my anxiety.

mowammee
by Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM

DD here! I have both depression and anxiety. My anxiety really began affecting my sleep so I was put on sleeping pills for when I have an attack at night. If she just started on her meds, then you need to give it a few weeks to kick in. Often what may worked for you, might not work for your daughter. I was switched around many, many times. I also did talk thearapy once a week for a few months. My mom always said to give it some time, and to just take two steps back and breathe. She also has depression and we both were on Effexor for a while, until I was put on the Prozac. Try having her do some breathing exercises. She may need a mood stablizer, I am on 40 mg of Prozac & 300 mg of Seroquel XR. I must warn you there is very heavy, very quick weight gain with mood stabilzers. I balloned 150 lbs in about a year and half. It has not been easy to loose it. Can she take up a new hobby? That might help. I take dance and I love to use my tap class as an anger relief, plus I have many friends there. Much luck to you both! 

(edit for my age, I was diagnosed at 11 1/2, 12 and am now 18)

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My DD22 has severe anxiety to the point where she was unable to leave the house for about 6 months at a time (3 times) she's on Loxalate and absolutely LOVES it, and she's moved out of home and hasn't had a panic attack in 2 months :)

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My 20 yr old son has anxiety.   He refuses to take anti depressents.   He has his own coping mechanisms that he has learned throughout the years.    He has recently started taking a medication ( I can't remember the name of it) that was prescribed by his gastroenterologist, to help with his IBS symptoms.   The drug has been proven to help ease anixiety, too.   

amberNewman0213
by New Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I had anixiety as a teenager and still do. I am a worrier about things that normal people dont worry about. like someone breaking in the house, Getting in a car accident, etc. I worry myself sick over these things on a daily basis. i took St. Johns Wart and it really helped me, im not a big meds person. However be assured it can interfere with some types of birth control so be sure if DD is on any. (i know 14 is young for that) its not going to interfere with it, 

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My 14 year old son is also on Prozac for anxiety. it seems to help him.

pce68
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

She has been on the Prozac for about 4 months now and it seemed to help at first, but now her anxiety is building up again. She is having trouble sleeping. I have been giving her an otc sleeping pill. Sometimes even that doesn't help her. She worries about me getting hurt, or about bad things happening to us, and she has certain things she does to deal with it. She has to do certain things in a certain order or she has a meltdown. Like when she gets ready for bed, if she doesn't do things in a certain order she gets very upset. When she is home alone she will rarely leave her room, because she only feels safe in her room or my room. She hates to go to the kitchen or family room when I'm not there. It scares her. 

She doesn't have many close friends and the ones she has she doesn't get to hang out with much bc they are very busy. She is very shy and nervous about talking to new people, or even talking to people she knows sometimes, like she gets scared about calling a friend and asking them to do something with her. She gets scared asking her teachers for help. Sometimes it seems like she is scared all of the time, and I have no idea what sets it off, or what caused this. She has had fears like this most of her life and I thought she would outgrow some of it but some of it is still there, and I don't know why. Sometimes she just gets scared and she doesn't even know why. She will just get really upset and all I can do is hold her and tell her it will be okay until she calms down.

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:57 PM
My 16 year old is on Prozac due to anxiety! We have had to change the amount already as it seemed to stop working as well but once they upped the dose a little she was back to normal!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)