Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What Would You Think of This High School?

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 21 Replies

These quotes are featured on the homepage of a charter high school (edit to add:)that markets themselves as a college preparatory school that I was considering looking into for my son: 

"I went to [name] and it forever made me a better person." - Student

"[name] is a great school. Classes are challenging, interesting and teachers are helpful." - Student

"The schools have values and it cares for the student." - Parent

What would you think about a high school after seeing these exact quotes featured heavily on their homepage? 

(Note: I didn't change any spelling or punctuation. I just removed the name of the school. The charter school does have a middle school too, and that's why the "parent" said "schools" instead of "school.")

by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM
If they are actual quotes, you can't blame the grammatical errors on the school.

We do use a small charter school and it does have a family feel. It definitely has higher standards of behavior and dress then the local public schools so I couldnsee quotes like better values and making someone a better person.
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If the students go to the school, then who would you blame the grammatical errors on? Shouldn't the students be taught better grammar than this to be prepared for college? (This school claims their focus in on having students be college ready. So even though I know not every high school graduate goes on to college, that is a focus of this particular charter school.)

I know people who have their kids going to this school, and they have mentioned the family feel too. I have talked to a teacher from this school before too, and he was very nice. He gave me a lot of insight into this particular charter school and the public high schools we were deciding from.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: If they are actual quotes, you can't blame the grammatical errors on the school.

We do use a small charter school and it does have a family feel. It definitely has higher standards of behavior and dress then the local public schools so I couldnsee quotes like better values and making someone a better person.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Our hs is awesome but not everyone has good grammar. I wouldn't think bad on the school.

Quoting Barabell:

If the students go to the school, then who would you blame the grammatical errors on? Shouldn't the students be taught better grammar than this to be prepared for college? (This school claims their focus in on having students be college ready. So even though I know not every high school graduate goes on to college, that is a focus of this particular charter school.)

I know people who have their kids going to this school, and they have mentioned the family feel too. I have talked to a teacher from this school before too, and he was very nice. He gave me a lot of insight into this particular charter school and the public high schools we were deciding from.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: If they are actual quotes, you can't blame the grammatical errors on the school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM

But would your HS feature only 3 quotes on their main website where all 3 quotes have poor grammar? I understand that not all students are good at grammar (especially since my son is one of them), but I would think a high school would want to put a higher standard on their homepage, which is the page they use to attract prospective students.

Quoting atlmom2: Our hs is awesome but not everyone has good grammar. I wouldn't think bad on the school.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
You would think that they would choose better quotes.
PurpleHazey
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Sure why not, computers take care of everything today so to be honest grammer is a unknown thing.

drfink
by Emily on Dec. 28, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I see your point.If an  emphasis is on prepping for college it would make sense for the quotes that are picked to be grammatically correct.

Either the webmaster is clueless or the school is a bit careless.Well the school has to be careless or the quotes would have been changed.

Quoting Barabell:

But would your HS feature only 3 quotes on their main website where all 3 quotes have poor grammar? I understand that not all students are good at grammar (especially since my son is one of them), but I would think a high school would want to put a higher standard on their homepage, which is the page they use to attract prospective students.

Quoting atlmom2: Our hs is awesome but not everyone has good grammar. I wouldn't think bad on the school.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Yes, they market themselves as a charter college preparatory school. If it was more of a traditional high school that didn't have such an emphasis on being a college prep school, this error might not have stood out so much in my mind.

For example, I would see grammatical errors in the student reviews on the GreatSchools.org of the current middle school my son is going to, and that didn't bother me at all. But for a college prep school to openly choose those quotes on their own with such grammatical errors and for no one at the school to notice (i.e. English teacher!!), something seems kind of off with this.

Maybe I should edit the description to add that the school markets themselves as a college prep school and they chose to put feature those quotes?

Quoting drfink:

I see your point.If an  emphasis is on prepping for college it would make sense for the quotes that are picked to be grammatically correct.

Either the webmaster is clueless or the school is a bit careless.Well the school has to be careless or the quotes would have been changed.

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

As a working professional, I disagree. 

Plus, computers do not catch all grammatical mistakes. Or the computer often suggests a grammar correction that is incorrect. You have to know the difference when creating a work report.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Sure why not, computers take care of everything today so to be honest grammer is a unknown thing.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I agree with you. Those grammatical errors are a big red flag to me.

Quoting Barabell:

Yes, they market themselves as a charter college preparatory school. If it was more of a traditional high school that didn't have such an emphasis on being a college prep school, this error might not have stood out so much in my mind.

For example, I would see grammatical errors in the student reviews on the GreatSchools.org of the current middle school my son is going to, and that didn't bother me at all. But for a college prep school to openly choose those quotes on their own with such grammatical errors and for no one at the school to notice (i.e. English teacher!!), something seems kind of off with this.

Maybe I should edit the description to add that the school markets themselves as a college prep school and they chose to put feature those quotes?

Quoting drfink:

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN